Too heavy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThomasG07

Aquarium Advice Freak
This 50 gal has been sitting on this stand for about a year now. This was originally an entertainment center for my tv so it's not designed to hold tanks. I want to put a 75 gallon on it but I need opinions about the weight.

Attachments

• image-1195191719.jpg
    image-1195191719.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 137
  • image-1919232904.jpg
    image-1919232904.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 164
It's a 50/50 shot really. Personally I wouldn't. You could make a good strong stand quite cheaply that you know will work. IMO, you'll probably end up thinking about it the whole time, wondering if you wake up to a small pool in you lounge, I know I would. Is it really worth risking a 75g tank, fish and your furniture for a tv stand???.....

What's funny is that it probably could hold the weight of an 75gal ... but I agree with Ian086 ... best to go with a proper stand once you go into the 55gal + range.

Look at it this way, each gallon of water is going to weigh roughly 10 pounds. So you know the stand will hold about 500 pounds. With the 75 gallon your looking at about 750 pounds. IMO that's a lot more weight and that's a risk. I would make sure you reinforce the cabinet if you really like it. Like putting gussets in the corners of cabinet so it won't lean to one side and collapse. Its your call, just make sure its sturdy. Good luck hope it works out for you.

Back
Top Bottom