Too Hot??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boxxmann

Aquarium Advice Activist
:?: I have a 92 corner tank w/ 2 175watt MH 14k lights. My tank flucuates around 78-80 deg. F. Is that too hot for my corals, fish, clams, inverts, etc.?? :?:
Thanx.

As long as it's not over 82 you're doing fine. Just make sure the temp doesn't fluctuate more then a degree or two during the night by setting your heaters to the max temp you reach during the day.

I was told that I could not have a linkia star because of the temp. Is that right? Also, if I can have one how do I care for one?

sea stars can easily adapt to 80-82 degree temps as long as the increase is gradual IME. My Brittle star has no trouble with my 80 degree temp but I know Linckia Sea Stars are a lot more temperamental to ph/sg/temp changes then most stars.

IMO with a long drip acclimation and steady temp increase (2-3 hours) you could do it.

I assume you don't have any other Sea Stars now in the 92.

Edit: I only feed my brittle once every other week and it's a small raw shrimp piece about the size of my fingernail. It will scavenge the lr/sand for food also and goes after frozen leftovers that fish miss.

How do you feed them the shrimp? How do you steadily increase the temp over that long of a period? Also, how do you properly drip acclimate?

The acclimation article covers it.

I use a 5 gal bucket and tie a loose knot in air line tubing running from the main and let it drip about 3-5 drops per second and let it run for about 3-4 hours. I always start with just enough lfs water to cover the fish/inverts. Every half hour I remove about 1 cup from the bucket. At the same time I add 1/2 cup of heated SW.

Keeping the temp steady is more tricky. You can use a low watt heater in the bucket but I prefer to separately heat the water in a different bucket and add small amounts to the drip bucket every half hour usually in 1/2 cup increments. I heat the other water to around 85-90 degrees depending on how warm the lfs water is that I add to the drip bucket.

I just place the shrimp next to a leg. They usually have no trouble finding it.

I actually bought a valve from HD, that I can adjust the rate of the drip.

Back
Top Bottom