Too Many Bubbles Popping and Escaping Via Open Area in Hood...Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
I also had another query for you all -- in talking about the "deluxe dual hoods" that came with my tank package, I had to punch out those plastic pieces in the back to fit the two filters on this tank; on the side that houses the larger AquaClear 110, there's a pretty big space left open now because it seems I punched out too much plastic trimming and this is causing the evaporated bubbles from the two bars under the water towards the rear of the aquarium to either pop and then run down the back glass, leaving nasty "hard water stains" all over it or, when I leave a washcloth up there, to "soak" the cloth to the point it becomes so oversaturated it drips and runs, causing near flooding towards the FRONT of the tank's stand, if you can believe that....

I actually took a look at the stand the other night and almost had a heart attack thinking we had yet ANOTHER cracked tank because the front edge of the stand was POOLED with water; I thought there was a crack perhaps in the bottom glass because of where the water was pooling, but it turned out it was coming from the soaked and dripping washcloth in back that was "sucking up" the evaporation from the popping bubbles...as soon as I changed that soaked cloth out, the "pooling" in the front of the tank stopped and dried up...I know...weird...

Here's my question: I tried to contact Marineland several times about getting some replacement plastic "pieces" sent that I could possibly "fit back" into the open area of the hood in back but they won't return my emails...is there anything you guys can suggest that I can use instead of washcloths because they simply absorb the evaporation and begin to drip to "close off" this open section of the hood where the bubbles are popping and running off? I was considering black electrical tape to sort of seal it off -- the tape wouldn't touch the water -- but I'm not sure how to cut it just so that it acts like an actual "piece" attached to the hood...

Any suggestions? :thanks: in advance...

A piece of Plexiglas siliconed, or hot glued under the opening should solve the problem.

Last edited:
Hmm, well i'm not sure exactly how water is escaping the tank, can you post a picture maybe? And maybe put a bucket or something and try to get the water to run back into the tank.

Edit: wait nevermind, I understand now, sorry! :) and yeah i agree with foster, get some acrylic or plastic to cover it and you'll be good!

Thanks Foster and 'Marine...

I actually tried using some Glad Press 'N Seal but it just wouldn't work; the seal gets too saturated from the bubbles popping and evaporating that it just makes a mess of the stuff...:banghead: :(

Back
Top Bottom