too much filter???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all. I'm thinking of doin a 10 gal nano. I have a 55 gal hob filter. Is this too big? I had filter problens once already.. 20 gal filter on 10 gal. Thanks for ur input!!!

What filter is it? If it has an adjustable flow, you might be able to get away with it, but my gut tells me you'd just turn your tank into a whirlpool.

Agreed - that filter is probably a little large for the tank. I use canister filters on 5 gal tanks, but it is much easier to control the flow than it will be with an HOB...

I have an extra filter laying around. I also have a "sandman" 30-75 gallon filter. After my cascade 1000 is ready i could use that... would that be abetter option???

If your fish are constantly fighting the current of the output of your filter then it's not advisable. Like what's already stated if you can adjust the flow your good and it doesn't matter.

If your fish are constantly fighting the current of the output of your filter then it's not advisable. Like what's already stated if you can adjust the flow your good and it doesn't matter.

K. Flow can be dialed back. Plus it has sand with benefitial bacteria in it.

It's all about directed flow. You can have a very powerful filter in a tank as long as the flow is diverted. For your use a small piece of water safe plastic that made the water fan out in 180 degrees out of the filter rather than the usual waterfall shape would decrease the current in the tank while still giving excellent filtration.

Back
Top Bottom