Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Too much filtration?

So i have a 55 gallon african cichlid tank and its currently running a fluval 406 canister and a marineland hob pengium 350 filter. I was looking at putting a third filter on and it was either going to be another marineland hob or maybe a aqua clear 70 but my first question is would this be to much filtration and if not which filter would you go with?? Any input would be appreciated.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

IMO there is no such thing as too much filtration unless of course...there's so much current the fish can't swim >.>

Old 03-22-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

The seem to love the circulation pumps I have in there now
Old 03-23-2012, 12:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a 60 gallon with Three, an Emp 400 , penguin 350 HOT plus a Aqua Top internal filter...IFP 30 (for a Pond) rated at 356 gph which I doubt it pushs that but works well.

I think the AquaClear 70 would be good, I have that and a Penguin 350 on my 30 gallon. Works great and you can set the media as you like......

Or the internal Filter...I'm done with Marineland for a while they are great but huge...The nice thing about the internal it was 20 bucks on Amazon I was expecting a lot less and got pleasantly surprised.
60 gallon(Parrots and Convicts) 55 gallon African Cichlids 5 gallon Betta tank 35 Gallon Hex (Bolivian Rams, Oto cats, Bloodfin Tetra and a shoal of Tiger Barbs) 75 Gallon Oscar Condo. 30 gallon GBRs & Danios
Pton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race2d View Post
So i have a 55 gallon african cichlid tank and its currently running a fluval 406 canister and a marineland hob pengium 350 filter. I was looking at putting a third filter on and it was either going to be another marineland hob or maybe a aqua clear 70 but my first question is would this be to much filtration and if not which filter would you go with?? Any input would be appreciated.
Why would you want to have so many filters on your tank? Why not just get 1 larger filter that can handle the whole job? The only time I've run more than 1 filter was when I used an undergravel filter in the tank. I'd use either a HOB or canister filter to be the chemical filter otherwise, my filter would be both my biological/chemical and mechanical filter in one.
As stated before, you can't really over filter a tank but you can do uneccessary filtering of a tank (That's called wasting money ). You do want to be aware of water current in the tank as well.

Just a thought...
Old 03-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Why would you want to have so many filters on your tank? Why not just get 1 larger filter that can handle the whole job? The only time I've run more than 1 filter was when I used an undergravel filter in the tank. I'd use either a HOB or canister filter to be the chemical filter otherwise, my filter would be both my biological/chemical and mechanical filter in one.
As stated before, you can't really over filter a tank but you can do uneccessary filtering of a tank (That's called wasting money ). You do want to be aware of water current in the tank as well.

Just a thought...

I would listen to some good advice here.....

My reasoning for Three is the heavy Bioload (an Oscar , Blood Parrot 2 convicts) in my 60 gallon plus the budget is tight so I went with the Cheap Internal. Since the Flow is rated for 350 gph I'm thinking of redeploying it as a pump (less the media) for a sump I have plans to do at some point when I need to move these guys up to a 125 gallon...

60 gallon(Parrots and Convicts) 55 gallon African Cichlids 5 gallon Betta tank 35 Gallon Hex (Bolivian Rams, Oto cats, Bloodfin Tetra and a shoal of Tiger Barbs) 75 Gallon Oscar Condo. 30 gallon GBRs & Danios
Pton46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com