Too much filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Race2d

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i have a 55 gallon african cichlid tank and its currently running a fluval 406 canister and a marineland hob pengium 350 filter. I was looking at putting a third filter on and it was either going to be another marineland hob or maybe a aqua clear 70 but my first question is would this be to much filtration and if not which filter would you go with?? Any input would be appreciated.

IMO there is no such thing as too much filtration ;) unless of course...there's so much current the fish can't swim >.>

The seem to love the circulation pumps I have in there now

I have a 60 gallon with Three, an Emp 400 , penguin 350 HOT plus a Aqua Top internal filter...IFP 30 (for a Pond) rated at 356 gph which I doubt it pushs that but works well.

I think the AquaClear 70 would be good, I have that and a Penguin 350 on my 30 gallon. Works great and you can set the media as you like......

Or the internal Filter...I'm done with Marineland for a while they are great but huge...The nice thing about the internal it was 20 bucks on Amazon I was expecting a lot less and got pleasantly surprised.

Question???

So i have a 55 gallon african cichlid tank and its currently running a fluval 406 canister and a marineland hob pengium 350 filter. I was looking at putting a third filter on and it was either going to be another marineland hob or maybe a aqua clear 70 but my first question is would this be to much filtration and if not which filter would you go with?? Any input would be appreciated.

Why would you want to have so many filters on your tank? Why not just get 1 larger filter that can handle the whole job? The only time I've run more than 1 filter was when I used an undergravel filter in the tank. I'd use either a HOB or canister filter to be the chemical filter otherwise, my filter would be both my biological/chemical and mechanical filter in one.
As stated before, you can't really over filter a tank but you can do uneccessary filtering of a tank (That's called wasting money ;) ). You do want to be aware of water current in the tank as well.

Just a thought...:)

Why would you want to have so many filters on your tank? Why not just get 1 larger filter that can handle the whole job? The only time I've run more than 1 filter was when I used an undergravel filter in the tank. I'd use either a HOB or canister filter to be the chemical filter otherwise, my filter would be both my biological/chemical and mechanical filter in one.
As stated before, you can't really over filter a tank but you can do uneccessary filtering of a tank (That's called wasting money ;) ). You do want to be aware of water current in the tank as well.

Just a thought...:)

I would listen to some good advice here.....:agree:

My reasoning for Three is the heavy Bioload (an Oscar , Blood Parrot 2 convicts) in my 60 gallon plus the budget is tight so I went with the Cheap Internal. Since the Flow is rated for 350 gph I'm thinking of redeploying it as a pump (less the media) for a sump I have plans to do at some point when I need to move these guys up to a 125 gallon...

Back
Top Bottom