Too much filtration? Is there such a thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afrancis97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys and gals,
So as I was walking thru my local pet store the other day purchasing some food and some aquarium salts from a recent and successful battle with Ich, I found myself picking up what would be my second Marineland Penguin 350 and debating purchasing it to add it to the tank. My thought process being " Is there really such a thing as too much filtration or would this just be overkill and a waste of money?" It was at this time I put it back down and thought I would pick the brains of all of you before I do it.
I currently own one Marineland 350 right now in my 55 gallon tank.
It is stocked with
1 Dwarf Gourami
3 Rainbows
8 Bleeding Heart Tetras
2 Pictus Cats

Current water conditions
PH 7.4
Ammonia 0.25 ( water change is schedule for today):fish2:
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates 5.0

Thanks for any input!!
:thanks:

IMO the more mechanical filtration the less you have to change each one. Bio filtration does eventually cross the line from necessary to wasted space as you will only have as much bacteria as can survive from your bioload.
I wouldn't mind having another canister filter just for water movement and polishing. Then I wouldn't have to worry about my filters gunkjng up as fast.

Add an ac 70 and call it a day! It's only too much if your fish look like they're struggling in the current or flow.. Stuff the 350 with filter floss and enjoy one seriously clean tank!

Hello afran...

Tank filtration does little to keep the tank water pure. It simply takes in toxic water and returns the same water to the tank that's a bit less toxic. The filter's main function is to move the water's surface and that surface movement mixes oxygen into the water.

If you have a filtration system with a gallon per hour (gph) rating of 4 times the volume of the tank, that's sufficient to safely run the tank. Then, as the water keeper, your job is perform large, frequent water changes. Removing and replacing the tank water on a regular basis is the real filtration, not that mechanical thing that hangs on the back of the tank or hides in the cabinet under the tank.

Simply put, change a lot of tank water and change it often and save your money for other fish stuff.

B

on a 4 ft tank I would run one on either end it will help both in filtration and water movement

I have a 29 gallon with a fluval 50 currently. Was thinking of adding an additional fluval 20 or 30. Would this be too much filtration?

Hello afran...

Tank filtration does little to keep the tank water pure. It simply takes in toxic water and returns the same water to the tank that's a bit less toxic. The filter's main function is to move the water's surface and that surface movement mixes oxygen into the water.

If you have a filtration system with a gallon per hour (gph) rating of 4 times the volume of the tank, that's sufficient to safely run the tank. Then, as the water keeper, your job is perform large, frequent water changes. Removing and replacing the tank water on a regular basis is the real filtration, not that mechanical thing that hangs on the back of the tank or hides in the cabinet under the tank.

Simply put, change a lot of tank water and change it often and save your money for other fish stuff.

B

I'm sorry, I'm gonna disagree with some of this statement. 4x per hour isnt enough. You should have at least 10x the turnover rate in an aquarium. Yes water changes are good but, a good weekly water change is perfect for most setups. The filters filter out waste and particles and provide mechanical and biological filtration. I don't recommend 4x the turnover rate or your tank may always be a bit dirty. Stick to 10 and you and your fish will be happier. No need to do a lot of water changes. Once a week at 30-50% is plenty for most fish.

Hello jwh...

The water change is the filtration. The tank is an unflushed toilet. You could run 100 filters and you'd still have dirty tank water. The old water has to be removed regularly to maintain pure water conditions for the fish and plants.

I'd bet my tank with large, weekly water changes and a single 4 times filter has a much better water chemistry then the tank that runs multiple filters and doesn't change the water as often. In fact, if you changed half the water twice weekly, you could do away with filtration entirely. The reason being, by changing a lot of water and changing it often, there's no time for nitrogen to build up before it's removed again. The fish and plants always live in pure water.

B

Hello jwh... The water change is the filtration. The tank is an unflushed toilet. You could run 100 filters and you'd still have dirty tank water. The old water has to be removed regularly to maintain pure water conditions for the fish and plants. I'd bet my tank with large, weekly water changes and a single 4 times filter has a much better water chemistry then the tank that runs multiple filters and doesn't change the water as often. In fact, if you changed half the water twice weekly, you could do away with filtration entirely. The reason being, by changing a lot of water and changing it often, there's no time for nitrogen to build up before it's removed again. B
fliters keep water moving, moving water promotes gas exchange, keeps substrate clean, if I didn't know any better I'd say most fish like a bit of current.. Besides who wants to do 2 weekly 50% wc?!?! Also that whole fish in air thing that seems to be all the rage..

Hello Brook...

The water change is the aeration. By changing out the water regularly, you're mixing oxygen into the tank water. In addition, you have oxygen from the surrounding air in the room and the O2 produced by the plants. There is more than enough O2 to sustain your fish between water changes. Granted, only 1 in 10,000 tank keepers could commit to such an aggressive water change routine, but it can be done.

Back to my point, the filtration equipment, even multiple, high end, expensive filters can't be depended upon to keep the tank water pure. Only large, frequent water changes can do the job.

Just an opinion from a water change fanatic.

B

Hello Brook... The water change is the aeration. By changing out the water regularly, you're mixing oxygen into the tank water. In addition, you have oxygen from the surrounding air in the room and the O2 produced by the plants. There is more than enough O2 to sustain your fish between water changes. Granted, only 1 in 10,000 tank keepers could commit to such an aggressive water change routine, but it can be done. Back to my point, the filtration equipment, even multiple, high end, expensive filters can't be depended upon to keep the tank water pure. Only large, frequent water changes can do the job. Just an opinion from a water change fanatic. B
oh I agree about wc! I'm pretty fanatical myself.. There is really no way to remove nitrates other than getting your hands wet.. I just think proper filtration is as important as a proper wc routine..

oh I agree about wc! I'm pretty fanatical myself.. There is really no way to remove nitrates other than getting your hands wet.. I just think proper filtration is as important as a proper wc routine..

I agree with this as well. Filtration is a huge part in aquariums. Without filtration your gonna need to do daily water changes on most tanks.

I appreciate all the input guys I have gotten a lot out of this thread! To keep you all in the loop I decided to pull the trigger and add the second filter, there seems to be a good current thru out the tank now, does not seem to be too much for my little guys either. After reading everyone's imput I figured this could not hurt and in conjunction with my routine water changes about 25% or so a week I should have one happy tank.
:dance:

Back
Top Bottom