Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Too much filtration? Is there such a thing?

Hey guys and gals,
So as I was walking thru my local pet store the other day purchasing some food and some aquarium salts from a recent and successful battle with Ich, I found myself picking up what would be my second Marineland Penguin 350 and debating purchasing it to add it to the tank. My thought process being " Is there really such a thing as too much filtration or would this just be overkill and a waste of money?" It was at this time I put it back down and thought I would pick the brains of all of you before I do it.
I currently own one Marineland 350 right now in my 55 gallon tank.
It is stocked with
1 Dwarf Gourami
3 Rainbows
8 Bleeding Heart Tetras
2 Pictus Cats

Current water conditions
PH 7.4
Ammonia 0.25 ( water change is schedule for today)
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates 5.0

Thanks for any input!!

Old 03-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

IMO the more mechanical filtration the less you have to change each one. Bio filtration does eventually cross the line from necessary to wasted space as you will only have as much bacteria as can survive from your bioload.
I wouldn't mind having another canister filter just for water movement and polishing. Then I wouldn't have to worry about my filters gunkjng up as fast.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Add an ac 70 and call it a day! It's only too much if your fish look like they're struggling in the current or flow.. Stuff the 350 with filter floss and enjoy one seriously clean tank!
Old 03-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello afran...

Tank filtration does little to keep the tank water pure. It simply takes in toxic water and returns the same water to the tank that's a bit less toxic. The filter's main function is to move the water's surface and that surface movement mixes oxygen into the water.

If you have a filtration system with a gallon per hour (gph) rating of 4 times the volume of the tank, that's sufficient to safely run the tank. Then, as the water keeper, your job is perform large, frequent water changes. Removing and replacing the tank water on a regular basis is the real filtration, not that mechanical thing that hangs on the back of the tank or hides in the cabinet under the tank.

Simply put, change a lot of tank water and change it often and save your money for other fish stuff.

B
Old 03-25-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

on a 4 ft tank I would run one on either end it will help both in filtration and water movement
Old 03-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have a 29 gallon with a fluval 50 currently. Was thinking of adding an additional fluval 20 or 30. Would this be too much filtration?
Old 03-25-2014, 11:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can't ever have enough mechanical filtration to remove particles and the extra flow will be good for your tank. I'd say go for it.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello afran...

Tank filtration does little to keep the tank water pure. It simply takes in toxic water and returns the same water to the tank that's a bit less toxic. The filter's main function is to move the water's surface and that surface movement mixes oxygen into the water.

If you have a filtration system with a gallon per hour (gph) rating of 4 times the volume of the tank, that's sufficient to safely run the tank. Then, as the water keeper, your job is perform large, frequent water changes. Removing and replacing the tank water on a regular basis is the real filtration, not that mechanical thing that hangs on the back of the tank or hides in the cabinet under the tank.

Simply put, change a lot of tank water and change it often and save your money for other fish stuff.

B
I'm sorry, I'm gonna disagree with some of this statement. 4x per hour isnt enough. You should have at least 10x the turnover rate in an aquarium. Yes water changes are good but, a good weekly water change is perfect for most setups. The filters filter out waste and particles and provide mechanical and biological filtration. I don't recommend 4x the turnover rate or your tank may always be a bit dirty. Stick to 10 and you and your fish will be happier. No need to do a lot of water changes. Once a week at 30-50% is plenty for most fish.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello jwh...

The water change is the filtration. The tank is an unflushed toilet. You could run 100 filters and you'd still have dirty tank water. The old water has to be removed regularly to maintain pure water conditions for the fish and plants.

I'd bet my tank with large, weekly water changes and a single 4 times filter has a much better water chemistry then the tank that runs multiple filters and doesn't change the water as often. In fact, if you changed half the water twice weekly, you could do away with filtration entirely. The reason being, by changing a lot of water and changing it often, there's no time for nitrogen to build up before it's removed again. The fish and plants always live in pure water.

B
Old 03-26-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello jwh... The water change is the filtration. The tank is an unflushed toilet. You could run 100 filters and you'd still have dirty tank water. The old water has to be removed regularly to maintain pure water conditions for the fish and plants. I'd bet my tank with large, weekly water changes and a single 4 times filter has a much better water chemistry then the tank that runs multiple filters and doesn't change the water as often. In fact, if you changed half the water twice weekly, you could do away with filtration entirely. The reason being, by changing a lot of water and changing it often, there's no time for nitrogen to build up before it's removed again. B
fliters keep water moving, moving water promotes gas exchange, keeps substrate clean, if I didn't know any better I'd say most fish like a bit of current.. Besides who wants to do 2 weekly 50% wc?!?! Also that whole fish in air thing that seems to be all the rage..

Tags
filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com