Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Too much light?

I have a wavepoint T5 light (4bulbs, 24in). Its ballast failed a long time ago and I got one of those URI A4 ballasts made by IceCap. The problem is, is that it overdrives the bulbs a good bit. Claims to drive them at 40W each instead of 24W. I know that URI bulbs are meant to be "overdriven", but the white bulbs have a red component and that makes for a nasty look!

I was considering using their Actinic White bulb as my "white" bulb. It is actually a 50/50 bulb and the resulting color temp. is 12000k or so they say.

I have a 20g tank with alot of corals as well as some new Acroporas. I figure they would like the increase in light, but would it be too much? There would be potentially 160W over the 20g tank by doing this. I took the ends off the T5 enclosure and plan to direct some tank fans through the enclosure to cool the bulbs.

Will I wind up coolking the tank? I plan to use those Actinic White along with some of their 460nm blue bulbs. Does this sound like a good idea? Im going for a very crisp white that tends to the blue side rather than to the yellow side.

Or, should I just stick to my 96W T5 setup and just change the bulbs and sell the modified wavepoint? (2-12000k and 2-460nm)

mrg02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Moved to General hardware and equipment discussion.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com