Too much room for media!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubs1281

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just bought a filstar xp xl. I have 4 baskets, each containing 2 slots. I have 3 slots left. What is currently in there is
20 ppi pad
30 ppi pad
Super micro filtration pad
Bio chem zorb
Zeolite ammonia remover
10 biochem stars

I dont really want to over do my chemical filtration, but should I do a Nitrate/nitrite absorber? And then more biochem stars? Or should I leave them open for more flow.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello?

NEVER too much room for media. In all my canisters I load the bio tray to the brim with bio media. The sponge tray is also doubled up, instead of 2, each has four. Because I always want to add tanks, I can be confident I have enough bio to seed a new tank, without harming the donor tank. Any excess space I fill with bag floss to polish the water.

BTW

Each of my trays have two "slots", My bio trays holds 2 bottles of Matrix each, each bottle covering what they claim to be "up to 90 gallons". So I'm running 180 gallons each worth of bio on both 55's and the 75. Between that, the sponges and the floss, my flow through the spray bar is excellent too. I am so pleased with my water(s) I would serve dinner off of it LOL.

More bio media always help. The chem zorb I'd activated carbon right? If so I personnaly don't use that - more room for ceramic bio tubes .)

I think I've decided on filling it with nitrazorb and bio media. Sound good?

Back
Top Bottom