Top bridge broken: Do I need to replace my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skald89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Top bridge broken: Do I need to replace my 55 gallon tank?

The frame around the tank looks to be intact. it is only the middle bridge that has snapped. Could I replace the middle bridge with something to hold up the hood and lights? Or is it completely unsafe and should I replace the whole tank?

Attachments

• WP_20171015_09_17_56_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171015_09_17_56_Pro.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 56
  • WP_20171015_09_18_04_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171015_09_18_04_Pro.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 72
  • WP_20171015_09_18_20_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171015_09_18_20_Pro.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 59
I think I would replace it just to be safe but I'm not an expert on this subject. Maybe you could brace it temporarily till you can get a replacement maybe petco $1 a gallon sale. There could be others on the site that might know better.

Aquarium Silicone would work. Unless you want to replace the whole top bracket. Up to you!

I'd replace it. It might be fine but someone may lean on it at some point or a kid reach up and put pressure on it. Look on craigs list.

I'd replace it. It might be fine but someone may lean on it at some point or a kid reach up and put pressure on it. Look on craigs list.

If I was going to replace it, Im thinking my best option is a brand new one. Hoping petco has their $1 per gallon sale during BF that includes the 55 gallon size.

What is the issue with making my own center brace to keep the glass from breaking?

What is the issue with making my own center brace to keep the glass from breaking?

I don't think there is an issue, that might be the least expensive and easiest way to repair the break. I look at it as a repair is never as strong as the original and in the long run is it worth the risk of water damage, loss of fish, etc,

I was just going to reply but angellove beat me to it. I don't think that brace does anything but supply a place for the hood and lights to sit on. They do sell 55 gal. tanks without the center brace amazon has one on there site.

I contacted aqueon with the same pictures and this was their answer.

"The top frame is crucial for structural support for the aquarium. If left broken and still in use, the tank will eventually start to bow out and potentially crack or leak. I would recommend replacing the aquarium."

I understand that the plastic frame around the glass keeps it in place. Also makes sense why the bridge would be made to keep the glass from bowing out. Just really do not want to risk having it leak. I have had the bridge partially broken for a year now and it finally gave it one day when I touched it.

It makes sense to a point. But that's alot of weight for a little piece of plastic in the middle. Along the edge maybe cause it's thicker. But the middle piece is thin. I don't know, maybe...

Back
Top Bottom