Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2003, 09:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Top Fin 40 Power Filter's Carts

I have what I said in the topic running at about 60% capacity on my 30gal,

My question is, it says to replace the filter carts every 4 weeks or so.

I wanted to come here for the definitive answer however, Since.. dosn't bacteria grow in the filter to aid in the tank balance?

According to the instructions I don't have to change it for 2 more weeks, however I don't want to follow the instructions if there is something that experiance has told others..

Old 09-09-2003, 09:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depends on what shape the filter is in really.

You can certainly rinse the filter out in the tank water you remove during water changes and just reuse the filter. Sponge filters will last about forever. The ones made of floss of some type don't last anywhere near as long.

I have the floss ones right now (I'll be replacing them with sponges as soon as I find a type large enough for a Emperor 400) and I rinse them. There does reach a point however, when the filter isn't very useful any more. I just change mine completely when the filter media starts getting ratty; that can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months in my case (mine get pretty groody; thanks to the piggies in my tank). However, I do have 2 mature bio-wheels, so I could replace both filters each water change and not spike any ammonia.

In your case it shouldn't be too much of a problem replacing them (whenever you decide to do that) as long as the tank is fully cycled. Keep in mind the bacteria colonise all surfaces: the filter media, the filter itself, the substrate, the tank walls, the plant leaves, etc. I don't suggest doing a gravel vac AND a filter replacement at the same time tho. Btw, you might want to squeeze some of the ook from the old filter onto the new one to "prep" it.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was thinking of maybe putting the filters in together somehow for a day or so so any good bacteria can jump ship onto the other, new filter, before getting rido f the old.

This is a kind of soft, squishy foamy type with I guess chunks of carbon inside of it.

EDIT.

Its soft, kinda of squishy foamy type bag with carbon in it, and when you replace the filter you just change the bag and filter, theres a plastic framework it all clips to.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah sounds like the ones I have. The sponge ones actually look sorta like you could use them to wash your car or the dishes LOL

You could put them both in as well, IF they will fit. I know mine only has enough room for one of those filter bag frames.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its kinda like the same material pillow stuffing is made out of, looks like it atleast.

Some kind of very fine plastic made into a squishy, spongy type of thingy.

Oooo..Fear my technical terms! :P

Tags
filter, fin, top fin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com