Top Fin vs. All Glass vs. Oceanic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hc8719 said:
topfin does have clear silicone

Well not sold here I guess. They have wood trim with clear silicone and black trim with black silicone only.

someone who accidently stops in here is gonna think were loons for arguing over which brand aquarium to get

And I would tell them, If you want to spend $100 on something you haven't researched then go right ahead.

I don't know about All-Glass, but PetsMart gaurentees their tanks and everything that came with it for as long as their store stands. That's what one staff told me. Even if there's a crack or the heater goes. Just take it in and exchange it.

Oceanic was bought, but the factory remains an independent production using different materials and specs. Kinda like Ford buying Jaguar.

Oceanics are real nice and durable, use thicker glass, and are heavier, compared to the others. The wood trim, and wood stands and canopies, are some of the better looking ones I have seen. I have two complete with stands and canopies. They have survived three moves in the moving company vans (without crating), and years long intervals of storage without use.

Yeah, I paid more for them when I bought them new, but now a decade later I am glad I did. I think the warranty is down to 7 years? hafta check the website to be sure about that.

Eheim filters are more expensive too, but some will buy them instead of a fluval, so to each his own.

hc8719 said:
has anybody actually had a bad "brand new" aquarium?

well.. not me, but my mom's husband around 1993.

All glass 125 gallon split all the way across the back petty much in the middle of the back glass. Obviously plate glass for the back of a six foot tank. It was about two years old.

I might add that his All-glass 125gal at the time had similar thickness and weight glass as my 75gal Oceanic.

The house is very old and likely has subflooring issues, but has had one large tank in the same room ever since, all being Oceanic after that incendent and has sence not had a reocuance.

But I've only seen a few, maybe two, 55gal's have problems over the years regardless of brand or age, and those were silcone seal issues/IMHO a relitively minor problem.

Back
Top Bottom