Top/Lid for my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themangia1984

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just purchased the coralife aqualight pro metal halide lighting fixture for my tank. I currently use a glass top and I do not have any issues with gas exchange/aeration. However I was wondering if the top will be an issue with the MH and if I should switch to egg crate. I have some jumpers in the tank especailly my snowflake eel. So if it is best to do eggcrate how can I keep this secured down so he doesnt get out.

Thanks

Eggcrate isn't heavy, but I think the fish would have to be pretty big to knock it off the top of the tank. What fish are you worried about jumping?

I just purchased the coralife aqualight pro metal halide lighting fixture for my tank. I currently use a glass top and I do not have any issues with gas exchange/aeration. However I was wondering if the top will be an issue with the MH and if I should switch to egg crate. I have some jumpers in the tank especailly my snowflake eel. So if it is best to do eggcrate how can I keep this secured down so he doesnt get out.

Thanks
If you're using a glass top already, then the top off shouldn't be much more than you currently do already. Maybe just a little more, unless you don't have a fan helping get rid of some of the heat.
I know that without the glass top, you will need to top off a lot more.

Thank you!!! I appreciated your comments and help. I am not worrying about top off as much as I am concerned that the glass top will diffuse alot of the light and I have some jumpers so I dont know if the crate will be heavy enough especially with my big snowflake eel. What do you think?

I don't think you'll have a problem w/ eggcrate, if you wanted to use it. Like I say, I have glass tops on two tanks, and have no negative effects. Now with light diffusion..... I really can't answer that for sure, I mean obviously the light is passing through something, so that will have somewhat of an impact, but i think it will be minimal IMO.

Keep in mind that the light also has to pass through several inches of water before it gets to whatever is receiving it, so adding 1/8th" of glass won't impact things that much.

Back
Top Bottom