Top off system recommendation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking at this JBJ system. Works with 2 floats. I'm needing to complete my undertank buildout for my FW reservoir. I'd prefer to raise the FW tank and let it gravity flow with a shut off/float valve (Kent, Coralife, etc), but by the time I get it above the sump water level, I don't have much room for FW. Any, check this out (option B).

I kinda like the way this looks. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these?

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium...ic_top_off_water_level_controller.asp?CartId=

I have a different sort that is just a single float switch connected to a pump in the FW tank. Having a 2nd float switch as insurance is a good idea (if that's what the 2nd one is for). My float switch gets sticky with either salt or calcium and get stuck if I let it go for more than a few months without soaking it in vinegar. And when that happens... I end up with a flood.

I'd prefer to raise the FW tank and let it gravity flow with a shut off/float valve (Kent, Coralife, etc)

Why not just run a line from your RO directly into the float valve and hide the tubing. Is that a possibility with your setup? If it is, it's the easiest.

The RO is completely on the other side of the house. That would be a logistics problem, not to mention the boss lady's concern about me putting more holes in walls. The tank is in a competely finished area of the basement.

Gator, the second float is to ensure the supply pump doesn't try to pump if the reservoir is empty or too low. Trying for about a 35g reservoir hoping that with the 834w I can avoid topping off the reservoir for at leasta whole week. Would love more.

OK. You looked at it first it sounds like.

So, you order it (pls do overnight shipping), set it up (that'd be by tomorrow night, right), and lemme know ASAP so I can decide.

Alright, I'm so easy. I will most likely order today or tomorrow. Guess I'd get it by Mondayish and letcha know.

Gonna try to do some web surfing to see if I can find some reviews first. Help me out finding some, 'cause I'm definitely ready to bite on this.

They do look good, but it appears that you have to buy the pieces separately. The pump, a hose, and then the float switches. The JBJ looks like one unit that has both floats and the pump all in one.

Edited - - Upon further look, I see 'd still have to buy a pump and hose.

The JBJ A.T.O. doesn’t come with hoses or a pump either for the $99 listed. Or am I missing it? Pumps and hoses for either shouldn’t run more then $25.

Also the only thing you have to put together with the ones I linked is attach the switch to the mount using the provided zip ties to achieve the water level you want. For only $39 it sure seems like a deal but then again I haven’t ordered from them yet but am seriously considering it for the price :D

They also have Double Switch ATO FOR $50.

Lastly if you are still set on getting the JBJ ATO the Aquatic-Store on ebay has it for $79 plus $10 in shipping :D

Nah, see my edited post above. I caught that too. Thanks for the links guys.

BTW, I belive that double float ATO is more for the redundancy in one tank vs. one for each tank.

Called the company. The 2006 model has an alarm shutoff switch. No more needing to pull the circuit from the board. That's the only complaint I've heard about'm.

I just got the JBJ ATO. It works great. With two sensors, you can set it up any way you want it. Plus, i trust it more than something that i'd piece together. And when you're talking about potentially flooding your house, i'm happy to go with the JBJ.

Back
Top Bottom