TopFin 5g rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PassengerTN

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone used this kit? It has perfect dimensions to fit the space I'm looking to put a small tank. Hoping one of you guys or gals has it and can answer some questions for me.

Jesse

Attachments

• 1451283816137.jpg
    1451283816137.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 121
Wow, I've never seen this one before and I browse the smaller tank setups a lot :hide:

Seems like a more squarish version of the Spec 5, gets decent reviews on PetSmart's website. Would definitely like to know if anyone here has one!

It's a nice footprint. 14X9.5X9.5". From what I've found, the pump on the filter is adjustable up to 48gph. I just wish the intake was more like the Spec tanks and doubled as a surface skimmer. I feel like the one on the Topfin tank would suck in the substrate.

Really hoping someone has one though, would love to know if that filter panel can be removed easily, or if it doesn't effect the substrate

Jesse

What are you thinking about in terms of stock for this tank? I really like the Spec 5 but had to do a number of mods, some when it was a community-type setup but even more for shrimp only.

Honestly I'm not really planning any real stock. Shrimp, microrasbora, or other micro fish if I can find them locally. I'm mostly wanting the tank itself, not so much the hardware, to do a dedicated planted/scaped tank. It seriously fits the space I planned out perfectly. I'm crafty, so if the filter won't fit my needs, I'll modify it until it does I guess.

Jesse

._. I'd love to set that up with a cube filter from Swiss Tropicals that has the lifter, a flame moss floor and a couple of largish chunks of red lava rock. Yellow shrimp and five emerald rasbora, I think. Hmmm... And two thorn/horn nerites. You know? The teensie guys. Yep. Before two years is up, that's happening.

I blame Passenger for calling attention to this tank <3

I have the previous version of this tank before they went rimless and AIO filter, that said with the way top fins quality on my model is I wouldn't expect much from the filter or light. However the smaller finnex lights fit the dimensions great. I've kept dhg growing for over six months. The only negative to the dimensions is the height can be a limiting factor. My bacopa is constantly hitting the surface.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have two of them. One of them is a shrimp tank and the other is a betta tank. I removed the filter panel and replaced it with sponge and bio-rings. Where the filter is located, the space is very tight.

I have two of them. One of them is a shrimp tank and the other is a betta tank. I removed the filter panel and replaced it with sponge and bio-rings. Where the filter is located, the space is very tight.

Could you post pics of your tanks?

1st picture is the stock lighting and your able to remove it. Which I did and replace it with the finnex clip on.

Attachments

• 1451325696271.jpg
    1451325696271.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 105
1st picture is the stock lighting and your able to remove it. Which I did and replace it with the finnex clip on.

In this picture, I had a finnex.

Attachments

• 1451326221391.jpg
    1451326221391.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 80
Cass95 - Great feed back on the product and nice pics of the nano setup.
Laeris - 2 years? I'm thinking more like 3 months. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

? I'm out of room. Critically out. Unless I use the floor, but the terrier might wreck the tank trying to get to critters. Unless we move that giant couch out. >: D I think that tank would look great in a rack of 10g breeders. One of these things is not like the others~

We're trying to get right to buy a house.

Seriously, though, that's a fantastic little tank, once it's doctored up. +1 on Finnex clip light. The difference in pics is remarkable.

The gray plastic panel cover of the filter? If so, yes it can be removed easily.

Just to make sure the gray wall panel where the filter is hidden can not be removed. But the gray lid of the filter can be removed.

What substrate do you have in yours? My main concern is sand, or other fine substrate being sucked through the panel wall

Jesse

Back
Top Bottom