Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

I guess I don't know if it's covered for only the purchased value or total replacement. Think about it this way, if your roof gets hail damage, they don't pay you for the depreciated value, they pay you for a new roof at replacement cost - at least as long as it's not a rental property (landlord policy is ACV). So they may be covered for the replacement cost regardless of the price they paid for the used tank.

Believe it or not, someone on the GIRS website posted that the tank can be easily repaired and would be stronger than it would before the break. I know that you can indeed repair acrylic, but would you REALLY want to have a 1500 gallon tank, knowing that it exploded once?

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wouldnt trust it!

Old 12-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

They could make it into a really neat hamster cage.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can see the insurance paying for the cost of the used tank, but not a brand new one. Technically the shop isn't out the cost of a brand new tank, they are only out the cost of that used one. I do agree that I would think the insurance would cover the cost of the used tank though.

Glad no one (and no fish) were hurt.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:50 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would imagine the cost of cleaning the place up and replacing water damaged items would at least equal the cost of the tank itself!
Old 12-10-2010, 05:23 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
....Believe it or not, someone on the GIRS website posted that the tank can be easily repaired and would be stronger than it would before the break. I know that you can indeed repair acrylic, but would you REALLY want to have a 1500 gallon tank, knowing that it exploded once?
yes if it can repair i would want it but not for aquarium...might use it as hamster house....they really love it...LOL
Old 12-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

In a way I am glad that it happened in a LFS and not a private home.
Can you imagine the damage It would do to your home if you had bought that tank!
Old 12-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea I can hear my wife now..... "No wonder you got a good deal on that tank!" lmbo
Old 12-11-2010, 03:09 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a heck of a time trying to watch the video. I had to load that webpage 5-6 times before the video would finally play, and when I tried to replay it they covered the whole video with advertisements I couldn't see past. Is there a better place to see the video? I couldn't find anything on youtube or google.

For my tanks at home I'm playing around with the idea of having a second containment in case of leaks. Basically the aquarium stand would be a waterproof container at the base able to hold the volume of the tank, and as long as the leak wasn't too violent, the water would spill into the container in/around the base of the stand.
Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah you just have to keep trying. Once you are able to view the advert, just wait a minute or so and the main video should start.

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com