Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2008, 05:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

total pump head pressure question

Need to know if I'm doing this right when trying to calculate total head pressure:

1. from pump outlet to return on left side is 2ft HORIZONTAL and 6ft VERTICAL
2. from pump outlet to return on right side if 6ft HORIZONTAL and 3ft VERTICAL

Based on the above and not accounting for any 45 degrees (which I have two), no 90 degrees, etc...just based on the above...would my total head pressure be:

1. 6ft
2. 9ft
3. 17ft

Trying to side this accordingly for new pump and I'm not sure if I should be counting the horizontals and also whether I should be counting BOTH sides of my return or just the one...?

thanks.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
You count every foot of line from the pump to the tank.

Here's the RC head loss calculator. It works great.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #3

not sure I understand then....so count everything...ok...that being said, according to this calculator is says my total losses are 24.62, which I don't undertand since I love have 17ft of total tubing...again, not counting anything else...so using all 0's everyone on that page and just inputting horizontal and vertical gives me 24...

does that mean that if I'm looking to provide 1200GPH to the tank, I have to look at a pump that can provide 1200GPH at 24ft head....?!

24ft just seems outrageous...given that I have a max of 17ft...

sorry, I just don't understand this head pressure calculation...
Old 07-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #4

that was specifying a blueline 100HD
Old 07-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Did you select the pump you are using currently or the pump you want to get? The Blueline HD is the default pump selected by the calculator because it is the first one on the list.

When you calculate you need to make sure to indicate your pipe size horizontal and vertical pipe lengths as well as all elbows.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #6
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
There is a difference in head loss when the pipe is running horizontal as opposed to verticle. Elbo's and tee's also add to the loss.
Do you plan on using the Blueline pump? If not, there are a bunch of pumps there. Pick what you will use.
Just remember, if your overflow can only handle 600 gph, don't get a 1200 gph pump. You must match the pump with the capacity of your overflow.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:01 PM   #7

Well I was looking to get a blueline hd 100 which just happens to be the default selection and pipe size is correct as my returns are 3/4", also by drains are 1" each so that's 600gph per return for a total of 1200.

Taking that into consideration and the fact that my total head loss is 15ft which is total length of tubing from pump outlet to the return in the tank, includes both vertical and horizontal... Is how I figure the blueline hd 100 would be right pump... But using this calculator it tells me I'm at 24ft... Not 15 which is what I don't get....

What am I doing wrong?
Old 07-18-2008, 11:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is it just 1 return jet?
50 to 75% with your setup would be safe. It is best to go short and strait as possible.And this would never be enough current for you main tank unless its a 10 gallon. Is this setup from a sump or fuge?
Old 07-18-2008, 11:14 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance View Post
Is it just 1 return jet?
50 to 75% with your setup would be safe. It is best to go short and strait as possible.And this would never be enough current for you main tank unless its a 10 gallon. Is this setup from a sump or fuge?
Flow and circulation are different things. Circulation is calculated with flow but not the other way around. 1200gph circulation is good for a tank 55-90 and probably even larger then that. AS for flow in the tank it needs to be higher.

If you have 1200gph overflow then you need close to 1200gph at the tank. what ever pump you need to buy to get there is what you should look at. I did a quick calculation on there with a few twists and turns and is shows with MAG24 and 3 outlets I would get about 660 per outlet.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:14 PM   #10

two returns with 1" drains.
Wet/dry setup
Fish only
265 gallon tank
Return is 6ft from floor/pump outle to one side, the rest is from the other return plus horizontal length from t-split.
(pump is right under the left return).

Tags
pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com