Trade fx5 for skimmer??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish-guy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently have a fx5 filter running on my 200 gallon saltwater setup. I do not have a skimmer yet. Mainly because i don't have room. The skimmer would replace the fx5 on the tank. Should I keep the fx5 or sell and buy a skimmer?

Don't have too many corals yet but it will be a decent reef tank, not a fowlr tank.

Thanks for your advice

If you had room for a sump, you could run a turf scrubber instead. Easy to build and cheaper. I run one and it works great.

I would keep the FX5 and get a decent skimmer. You will always want mechanical filtration and the availability to run other stuff like GFO or carbon should the need arise.

On a tank that size with corals I would strongly suggest a skimmer. Or a sump would be even better if you could find the room. :)

Yes room. That's the problem. I'm looking into getting a tunze 9011 skimmer to sit in the tank

If you had room for a sump, you could run a turf scrubber instead. Easy to build and cheaper. I run one and it works great.
your running a turf scrubber? how long? sorry to thread jack. but ive been reading and huma-huma is building one. what can you share about it?

I would keep the FX5 and get a decent skimmer. You will always want mechanical filtration and the availability to run other stuff like GFO or carbon should the need arise.

On a tank that size with corals I would strongly suggest a skimmer. Or a sump would be even better if you could find the room. :)

you can run the fx5 or any canister filter as a gfo reactor? smart never thought of that.

Back
Top Bottom