Transferring water from storage container in garage to sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How far is it and what is the change in height over the run?

I would think you should be able to use a more industrial submersible pump hooked to a grden hose to get the job done, depending on the factors above. They're not made to be quiet, and I'm not entirely sure about the materials being saltwater safe long term. IF however, you pull out the pump and rinse with freshwater and dry, I can't imagine it would leach anything unless you scratched off the enamel on the housing. I saw one in one of my company's stores not long ago for $110. It was something like this one:

Tsurumi Pump - Products - LSC Series Pumps - Tsurumi Pump

I've used them for pond maintenance with no issues.

Maybe someone else can chime in with their technique?

I'll agree with the pump idea. I use a cheap sump pump for mine but the height is pretty low so the cheap pump works. I don't know how long the pump will last like this but it's cheap and beats lugging buckets.

I use a cheap pump to fill my tank up from my back porch into my living room. Works great so far. :)

I use a cheap pump to fill my tank up from my back porch into my living room. Works great so far. :)

well how do you turn the pump off? My tank is 50 feet away. I have a pump I can use, would have to buy 50' of hose, but what do you do to cut power to the pump when the fuge is filled enough?

You could put a ball valve on the end of your fill hose which you'll probably want to do anyway to keep from spraying water everywhere if it should pop up out of the sump. If you're worried about the pump running dry, they're generally okay for the few seconds it would take to get to the pump and unplug it.

You could put a ball valve on the end of your fill hose which you'll probably want to do anyway to keep from spraying water everywhere if it should pop up out of the sump. If you're worried about the pump running dry, they're generally okay for the few seconds it would take to get to the pump and unplug it.

The guy at lowes said that by putting a ball valve on the end, you will destroy the pump. I thought of doing things that way but he was pretty adamant that wouldn't be in my best interests.

I can't imagine that having a ball valve closed 50' away from the pump for 30 seconds at a time will do that much to it. Maybe I'm wrong though. . .

I ususally have my b/f at the end with the pump and tell him when to pull the plug. But yeah, a ball valve would work as well too.

I have heard information to the contrary about throttling back with a ball valve, it's supposedly a good thing and will help save the life of the pump. BUT not sure if you throttle it back to nothing if that rule applies.

Afterall, you're only gonna be using it once a week at max so I don't think it will give out anytime soon if using the ball valve to cut the flow

carey said:
I ususally have my b/f at the end with the pump and tell him when to pull the plug. But yeah, a ball valve would work as well too.

I have heard information to the contrary about throttling back with a ball valve, it's supposedly a good thing and will help save the life of the pump. BUT not sure if you throttle it back to nothing if that rule applies.

Afterall, you're only gonna be using it once a week at max so I don't think it will give out anytime soon if using the ball valve to cut the flow

Carey,why not just plug your pump into an extension cord and run it along with your tubing to the tank,and plug it into a power strip.You just flip it off to stop the water pumping.I'm sure your BF would rather be doing something else.LOL

I figure he should participate and he can tilt the garbage can towards the end too. Only need him for like 10 minutes. His fish are taken careof my me so he owes me. Lol

carey said:
I figure he should participate and he can tilt the garbage can towards the end too. Only need him for like 10 minutes. His fish are taken careof my me so he owes me. Lol

Applying a bf into aquarium maintenance is an important part in the relationship! I always tell mine I'm dating him so I have somebody cheap to lift my buckets hahahahahaha

Mine doesnt help with bucket work. lol Only the pump pwc's changes. He'll just sit there and watch while I lug buckets.

Throttling a pump (with ball valve) really depends on the type of pump you have.

Centrifugal pumps (almost all pond pumps and powerheads are centrifugal) are fine to have the outlet throttled, just make sure you don't restrict the intake! Running them dry should be avoided at all costs, damages the internals (impeller, seals etc...) and is noisy as ****!

Completely shutting the valve on the outlet side shouldn't cause any harm to the pump. If they've been designed by anyone with half an ounce of knowledge on pump design they'll easily be able to withstand the shut-in head caused by blocking the outlet, that wouldn't concern me.

As far as throttling the outlet being good for the pump? Well perhaps... I'd like to see some evidence before I believe that, but certainly it's not bad for them :)

However a positive displacement pump is a different story entirely, but these are seldom seen in pond supply shops!

Throttling a pump (with ball valve) really depends on the type of pump you have.

Centrifugal pumps (almost all pond pumps and powerheads are centrifugal) are fine to have the outlet throttled, just make sure you don't restrict the intake! Running them dry should be avoided at all costs, damages the internals (impeller, seals etc...) and is noisy as ****!

Completely shutting the valve on the outlet side shouldn't cause any harm to the pump. If they've been designed by anyone with half an ounce of knowledge on pump design they'll easily be able to withstand the shut-in head caused by blocking the outlet, that wouldn't concern me.

As far as throttling the outlet being good for the pump? Well perhaps... I'd like to see some evidence before I believe that, but certainly it's not bad for them :)

However a positive displacement pump is a different story entirely, but these are seldom seen in pond supply shops!

I got the pump cheap enough; I'll put a ball valve on the "fill" end and just run 50' of hose from the garage to the sump and turn the pump on when I need it and open the ball valve as needed.

Thank you everyone.

Back
Top Bottom