Trickle filter for freshwater fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lanna3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a large fish tank with a trickle filter, we used to have marine fish 2 years ago before we moved and sold it all, I am wanting to get it back up and running again. The problem is that where we live doesn’t have any marine fish, so my question is can we put freshwater fish in and what we would need to do to the filter to keep the fish alive.

Thanks

I use sumps on my freshwater tanks.
Like the tank all you need to do is clean it up good and get it cycling.
Most freshwater fish that are not to small to avoid the overflow love surface extraction and better filtered water. Sumps rule ..Now not so sure about bio balls if you still have them.
There are a lot of other choices for media and I like to pick one that is easily cleaned during future tank and filter maintenance .
Welcome to AA !

Thanks for the reply [emoji3] are you suggesting I get rid of the bio balls altogether and replace with IMG_1522625077.970795.jpg

I use sponges ! Nothing else . I often don't even use the supplied ceramic media with Aquaclears in favor of a second sponge.. I breed a lot of fish and most fish breeders find sponge filters to be the best.
I think the price people pay for bio media is silly considering they usually know nothing about it..
I am sure others will have a favorite media they may recommend.

Matrix is one I like to use.

One which I am getting ready to try out is a block type item made of what I believe is essentially the same material but looks like a square brick. It is called Marine Pure High Performance Biofilter Media for SW and FW.

The block I got is the larger one 8"x8" block 4" thick. Has 23,000 square feet of surface, an amazing amount. I want to get one for my patio pond too.

Any how I also have ceramic media rings of several manufacturers and sponge. Like the media in the AquaClear filters, with Purigen for the HOB filters.

In my Canisters I run Matrix and rings some solid pellet ones and some old bulk pad because they were seeded with BB, with plastic stars - API Bio-Chem Stars. I like them!!! They are an advantage over bioballs because the star shape keeps them almost free of buildup. Also they really allow water flow because of the shape and way they seem to angle when dumped into the basket.

Overall the least favorite is bioballs because they really trap gunk, then the ceramic rings because they do catch gunk in the centers as well and seem to compact more, maybe I just pack them in too much. :/

A prefilter sponge is great and lets you catch lots of gunk before going into the filter system and is usually a quick rinse in pwc tank water.

Usually pack in as much media as I can and still get good flow.

And Purigen. Love that stuff too.

I use sponges ! Nothing else . I often don't even use the supplied ceramic media with Aquaclears in favor of a second sponge.. I breed a lot of fish and most fish breeders find sponge filters to be the best.
I think the price people pay for bio media is silly considering they usually know nothing about it..
I am sure others will have a favorite media they may recommend.

Thanks heaps, I’ve got two sponges at the moment one with to catch the bigger gunk then a finer one. Do you think I will have enough flow to keep all the water cycled or do you think I will find stagnant parts?

I really appreciate all your advice

Matrix is one I like to use.

One which I am getting ready to try out is a block type item made of what I believe is essentially the same material but looks like a square brick. It is called Marine Pure High Performance Biofilter Media for SW and FW.

The block I got is the larger one 8"x8" block 4" thick. Has 23,000 square feet of surface, an amazing amount. I want to get one for my patio pond too.

Any how I also have ceramic media rings of several manufacturers and sponge. Like the media in the AquaClear filters, with Purigen for the HOB filters.

In my Canisters I run Matrix and rings some solid pellet ones and some old bulk pad because they were seeded with BB, with plastic stars - API Bio-Chem Stars. I like them!!! They are an advantage over bioballs because the star shape keeps them almost free of buildup. Also they really allow water flow because of the shape and way they seem to angle when dumped into the basket.

Overall the least favorite is bioballs because they really trap gunk, then the ceramic rings because they do catch gunk in the centers as well and seem to compact more, maybe I just pack them in too much. :/

A prefilter sponge is great and lets you catch lots of gunk before going into the filter system and is usually a quick rinse in pwc tank water.

Usually pack in as much media as I can and still get good flow.

And Purigen. Love that stuff too.

Hey! Thanks for the tips! Do you think I can do this without a canister filter? Or am I just waiting my time and money by lot getting on?

How big is your tank ? What size return pump are you planning and GPH ?
You can always install circulation pumps if dead spots are present in the tank or sump .

How big is your tank ? What size return pump are you planning and GPH ?
You can always install circulation pumps if dead spots are present in the tank or sump .

My tank is about 400 litres and I’m not sure on the pump and I’m not sure what GPH is. I’ve cycled it for a few weeks and have 4 goldfish in now which have been in about a week, I’ve been testing the water every few days and they seem to be at a good level (apart from the ph, but it’s sorted now). I think I just need to get some air stones in there to keep the water moving.

Back
Top Bottom