Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2005, 12:57 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
I would try to answer that question czcz but it would be a theory only answer.. are you talking about the oxygenation capability of the wet/dry filter or of the entire system?

Old 05-18-2005, 05:11 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sealing your wet dry chamber would be akin to a canister filter. Oxygen would be added by plants if they produced enough and at the surface of the open tank.

I can't predict the net result though.......

Old 05-18-2005, 06:48 AM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks much guys. I was asking about wet/dry, greenmagi. AFAIK there's no good consumer O2 test; any thoughts on how to quantify results? I'll post CO2 relevant measurements when I get around to this experiment (itll be a while), for the curious

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:44 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was asking because mattrox answered the if it was the entire system question.. the surface area of the water in your tanks plus all the plants you keep should be plenty. by the way the trapped air in the wet/dry will only be as concentrated with CO2 as the water flowing in it.. it will have the same concentration of O2 as the water in it as well.. the gasses in the water and the gasses in the wet/dry will come to equilibrium thats the idea behind sealing the wet/dry sump..
my question is.. is the bio-chamber air tight and even if it is what would be the point of having a air tight bio-chamber I thought one of the benefits of bio-filtration in a wet/dry was the O2 added to the denitrifying bacteria in the bio-chamber. it would be stuck using the O2 that is dissolved in the water, I understand that a canister does this but from my research this is the only reason a wet/dry could be possibly better than a canister in any regard..
Old 05-18-2005, 11:37 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Im on the same train of thought, man, but it didnt stop at my station before yesterday. Its what lead to the question: since I'm trapping CO2 in the wet/dry area, I must be trapping O2 as well; therefore, there's no real point in having a wet/dry anymore, besides the fun of building it My wet/dry isn't an air tight seal -- I only tightened/messed with it after reading discussion about its applied benefits with CO2, in a thread a few weeks ago. I still think correct (open) diy wet/dry with stable CO2 is sweet, but maybe there's some way to do a comparison of dissolved O2 (vs. submerged bio stage) without expensive test equipment?

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 05-19-2005, 12:35 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok here it goes.. the bad news.. you could always use your DIY wet/dry on a fish only system some day! and go ahead an get a canister... here you go.. DIY canister, more fun! Ive seen some great plans for a DIY canister filtration system on another forum..

if putting up a link to another forum is poor taste could someone fill me in.. I think ive seen some of the advisors do it but that could be my poor memory...

http://cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=52761
Old 05-19-2005, 04:58 AM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks for the link

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 05-19-2005, 05:11 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are DO test kits but they are more of a scientific nature to get Do levels in lakes and such like..... It is an Iodine test. Easy to do and you could get a kit from a scientific supplier... don't know the cost.

*edit... $42.50 at this place http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...iid/461/cid/64

and a site for Aussies
http://aquaspex.com.au/products/microtest/dissox.html $87.50 for the Aussie kit (all their other test kit prices are very uncompetative when compared to the LFS so there maybe cheaper DO test kits in OZ)
Old 05-19-2005, 10:43 AM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks. Still too rich for my curiosity

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 05-21-2005, 03:50 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was at the LFS today and notices that there was on O2 kit that was much cheaper. I think it was a Sera test kit. it was about AU$32. Since stuff is more expensive here you guys would get it much cheaper I bet.

Tags
filter, filters, ick, plant, planted, planted aquariums

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com