Tubular Light Bulbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BubblesBW

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking for recommendations on tubular light bulbs. The hood on my 10 gal tank has two sockets and says not to exceed 25 watts. Does that mean 25 watts for each socket? For the whole hood? I'm not electrical savvy.
Anyway, here's my light bulb adventure so far: I first had incandescent bulbs in it. Two were heating the water so I took one out. The one being used started falling apart so I replaced it with the second one. That one burnt out and was falling apart so I got a fluorescent blue/white bulb. Within a week or two there was grime and algae growing where the light shone and I removed that one. I found an LED tubular bulb that I thought would be worth a shot (no heating, no grime, right?). But it says each bulb is 40 watts. But I've read that LED are rated differently than incandescent and fluorescent. So could I use it if I only use one? What bulbs do y'all recommend? Thanks!

I'm looking for recommendations on tubular light bulbs. The hood on my 10 gal tank has two sockets and says not to exceed 25 watts. Does that mean 25 watts for each socket? For the whole hood? I'm not electrical savvy.
Anyway, here's my light bulb adventure so far: I first had incandescent bulbs in it. Two were heating the water so I took one out. The one being used started falling apart so I replaced it with the second one. That one burnt out and was falling apart so I got a fluorescent blue/white bulb. Within a week or two there was grime and algae growing where the light shone and I removed that one. I found an LED tubular bulb that I thought would be worth a shot (no heating, no grime, right?). But it says each bulb is 40 watts. But I've read that LED are rated differently than incandescent and fluorescent. So could I use it if I only use one? What bulbs do y'all recommend? Thanks!

Do you have a pic or link to the LED bulbs you've got? I can't see a screw in compact LED is pushing 40 watts..... 40 watts equivalent maybe??

Do you have a pic or link to the LED bulbs you've got? I can't see a screw in compact LED is pushing 40 watts..... 40 watts equivalent maybe??
Here is the one I got, all I could find. 20180424_121644.jpg20180424_121710.jpg

I use the 13 watt CFL spiral bulbs.

What are your goals with the tank??
Hmm, I tried a fluorescent blue/white bulb and it started growing algae in my tank. Would this one too?

I have three fish- a betta and two albino corys- and all plastic plants. The betta is pretty sick so I'm kind of trying to find someone who would like to try their hand at getting her healthy again and taking care of her. If I can do that, I might get a couple more corys or I may stick with the two until they die and get something different. I'm expecting a baby this summer so I want to keep it as low maintenance as possible because I don't want to totally take it down if I can manage it. I really enjoy my cory cats!

You can try some simple floating plants like water lettuce, frogbit, red root floaters that should help with algae. You can reduce the amount of time the light is on for, no more than 5-6 hours a day. Increase water changes and feeding sparingly will help as well.

You can try some simple floating plants like water lettuce, frogbit, red root floaters that should help with algae. You can reduce the amount of time the light is on for, no more than 5-6 hours a day. Increase water changes and feeding sparingly will help as well.
Thanks for all your input! I may just stick with the incandescent bulbs. I didn't have a problem with algae with those and would like to avoid going that direction if possible.

The bulb in the photo is incandescent not LED. And yes it is too high in wattage for your fixture. The wattage rating is for one socket, not the entire light.

The bulb in the photo is not LED, it's incandescent. And yes, it is too high in wattage for your fixture and will give off even more heat than your original bulb. More watts = more heat. Here is a link to a tubular LED bulb that only draws 2 watts but is equivalent in light intensity to a 25 watt incandescent. https://www.amazon.com/Superdream-T...light+bulb&dpPl=1&dpID=31dbPq-bqlL&ref=plSrch
Thanks! I found a couple real LED bulbs like that one yesterday that I'm going to try. :)

The bulb in the photo is not LED, it's incandescent. And yes, it is too high in wattage for your fixture. The rating is 25 watts per bulb. Here is a link to a tubular LED bulb that only uses 2 watts of power but has the light intensity of a 25 watt incandescent. It will produce very little heat but could grow algae. https://www.amazon.com/Superdream-T...light+bulb&dpPl=1&dpID=31dbPq-bqlL&ref=plSrch
Aww dang it. I've used an LED on a different tank and I don't think I had a problem with algae so I'm hoping this one will work out.

Sorry I posted the response so many times. It wasn't showing up on the first several tries. All lights produce algae unless they are really dim. I guess you could try to find bulbs with really low light intensity. Light intensity is measured in lumens and it's usually listed somewhere on the package.

Sorry I posted the response so many times. It wasn't showing up on the first several tries. All lights produce algae unless they are really dim. I guess you could try to find bulbs with really low light intensity. Light intensity is measured in lumens and it's usually listed somewhere on the package.
Lol no worries! The bulbs I ordered should be here today so I guess we'll see how it goes. [emoji51]

LED is better than incandescent or fluorescent many ways. The main benefit being that you can get the same amount of light while using way less power. LED"s do cost more, but it's worth it because they last a lot longer and save you money on your electric bill. Go green, right? I think you'll be happy with your choice and if you do start to see algae, just leave the lights off until you want to look at your fish. I guarantee you the fish won't mind.

Yup agree totally here have regular 40w household LED bulbs in all my former incandescent canopys. Had to use candelabra shaped bulbs in a couple for fit reasons but othwr than that they're great. Have had no algae problems *yet* but have learned that things can change in a heart beat

Thanks everyone! I really like the lights so far and am going to try only keeping them on for feedings and to look at them occasionally throughout the day instead of leaving it on all day. I'm thinking I'll also get a snail to have an algae loving buddy before it can start building up too much again.20180426_171019.jpg

Back
Top Bottom