Tunze 9002 Noise Issues!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
This thing sometimes sounds like a old fan belt screaming!! And then it will stop and start up again. It's in our bedroom but I almost tossed it out the window when at 2:30am I woke thinking a cat was being killed. The screeching sound was horrible!! I adjusted the blue valve just a tiny bit and it stopped for the night.

It's working great! Picking up green gunk and everything.

But tonight I'm laying down watching Family Guy and that sound again! My wife was like what the heck is going on?! I ran to the tank to try an quite it down, this time it took a few little tweaks of the valve now as I write it's quite again. It comes and goes.

Anyone else have this problem? Is it normal? It's been running for about 2 weeks so it should be broken in. Never made this sound up until 2 days ago. I'm constantly having to adjust the valve at least once a day. And sometimes it sounds like a wind tunnel, like a rush of air through a tiny hose. A loud whooshing sound and sometimes it's quiet.

What gives?

It's in the 2nd chamber of my bio cube 29.

Well I googled and googled. Seems some people are having the same issues on other forums but I'd still like to know if any members here are having this issue, since I'm a member here.

Anyone?

Is it new? Or freshly cleaned? Mine use to do this after I cleaned it. But I modded mine and its stopped now. I can explain mod if interested.

And this mod allows for the addition of a co2 scrubber if you needed.

It's about 3 weeks old. It keeps making those noises and then goes away. Mods? Of course I'd like to hear about it! You can PM me if you want or share it right here.

If its new, I would keep adjusting the air going in. The noise is most likely the intake having a small opening, but the pump is creating a strong vacuum.

As far as the mod, its super easy and can be done for a few bucks. All you need is about a foot of air tubing and a valve.

Open the bottom of the skimmer. Take out the pump and disconnect the air hose.
Take your new air hose and connect it to the pump where the old one was.
Now take the rubber grommet out where the cord was routed.
Now take the air hose and route it throught the bottom and follow the power cord out. Replace the skimmer bottom.
Now take zip ties and connect to power cord.
Then put valve on the end of the hose.
Then turn it on and be surprised. It will bubble like crazy. Then adjust accordingly.

If you want a co2 scrubber. Put a small gatorade bottle with a hose connection in the top. Poke holes all over the bottom and hang it on its side. Fill with soda lime. This scrubbes all the co2 out of the air before entering the skimmer. So your ph stablizes.

This thing has been screeching like an old fan belt for the past hour!! I've tried EVERYTHING!!! I've turned it down, turned it up nothing!! This noise is horrible!!!

It seems to be effected by the amount of water flow from chamber 1 into 2. If the flow is restricted then it makes the noise. If its full force flow the skimmer is under water. I don't get it not do I understand what is going on. Then all of a sudden it stops!! Then picks up again!!

I'm seriously at wits end with this. I've contacted inTank about the issue and just waiting for a response. This is crazy to have to listen to this.

What could be wrong? Defective maybe? You know that sound when that car is just starting up and starts to move and you hear that LOUD screech?! Yeah... That's going on in my bedroom right now!!

UGH!!! Annoying!!!!

Thank the heavens!! It has stopped for the time being. I can't for the life of me figure it out. I'm gonna try that mod and see if that helps.

Also... Should the skimmer be really really bubbling? Or should it be going about half way up the tube and just be dumping some foam over the top and not water? It was set fine for a while then it just went haywire. Maybe the water change? I dunno... At least all I hear is a nice calm trickle of water. Ah.....

:)

WOW!! inTank got right back to me twice!! Answered all my questions and assured me there is no issue. Told me to just leave it be and let it break in and of still having an issue they gave me step by step instructions on what to do and if that didn't work they gave me a tech name, email and phone number from Tunze that will assist me.

inTank is GREAT and has amazing customer service. I WILL be using them again and highly recommend them to others who are looking to trick out there nano cubes.

Glad inTank helped you. I agree about the break-in of the skimmer. The mod is easy and gives you more control of the bubbles.

For a dry skimmate = bubbles pop right at the top. Which allows the skim to carrry the junk up and then pops and it goes out.

Wet skimmate = allowing the bubbles to just over flow into cup.

I run mine a little dry but still allow small amounts of bubbles to over flow out. Its up to you which works best for your setup.

Bige said:
Glad inTank helped you. I agree about the break-in of the skimmer. The mod is easy and gives you more control of the bubbles.

For a dry skimmate = bubbles pop right at the top. Which allows the skim to carrry the junk up and then pops and it goes out.

Wet skimmate = allowing the bubbles to just over flow into cup.

I run mine a little dry but still allow small amounts of bubbles to over flow out. Its up to you which works best for your setup.

Thanks for the info. Also today I'll be doing that mod. Just going to get the valve.

Bige said:
Nice! It really gives you a lot more air and control. Is it quieter?

Yes much quieter!! And the ease of control is awesome. You don't have to take the upgraded inTank top off. Before the upgraded cup you see in the pic hindered you from adjusting the skimmer without taking it off. Now I can leave the cup on and adjust it the right way and actually see how high the bubbles are getting.

Before was just a HUGE pain!!

Thanks for helping me!

Back
Top Bottom