Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tunze 9002 Noise Issues!!

This thing sometimes sounds like a old fan belt screaming!! And then it will stop and start up again. It's in our bedroom but I almost tossed it out the window when at 2:30am I woke thinking a cat was being killed. The screeching sound was horrible!! I adjusted the blue valve just a tiny bit and it stopped for the night.

It's working great! Picking up green gunk and everything.

But tonight I'm laying down watching Family Guy and that sound again! My wife was like what the heck is going on?! I ran to the tank to try an quite it down, this time it took a few little tweaks of the valve now as I write it's quite again. It comes and goes.

Anyone else have this problem? Is it normal? It's been running for about 2 weeks so it should be broken in. Never made this sound up until 2 days ago. I'm constantly having to adjust the valve at least once a day. And sometimes it sounds like a wind tunnel, like a rush of air through a tiny hose. A loud whooshing sound and sometimes it's quiet.

What gives?

It's in the 2nd chamber of my bio cube 29.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I googled and googled. Seems some people are having the same issues on other forums but I'd still like to know if any members here are having this issue, since I'm a member here.

Anyone?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 02-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is it new? Or freshly cleaned? Mine use to do this after I cleaned it. But I modded mine and its stopped now. I can explain mod if interested.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

And this mod allows for the addition of a co2 scrubber if you needed.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's about 3 weeks old. It keeps making those noises and then goes away. Mods? Of course I'd like to hear about it! You can PM me if you want or share it right here.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If its new, I would keep adjusting the air going in. The noise is most likely the intake having a small opening, but the pump is creating a strong vacuum.

As far as the mod, its super easy and can be done for a few bucks. All you need is about a foot of air tubing and a valve.

Open the bottom of the skimmer. Take out the pump and disconnect the air hose.
Take your new air hose and connect it to the pump where the old one was.
Now take the rubber grommet out where the cord was routed.
Now take the air hose and route it throught the bottom and follow the power cord out. Replace the skimmer bottom.
Now take zip ties and connect to power cord.
Then put valve on the end of the hose.
Then turn it on and be surprised. It will bubble like crazy. Then adjust accordingly.

If you want a co2 scrubber. Put a small gatorade bottle with a hose connection in the top. Poke holes all over the bottom and hang it on its side. Fill with soda lime. This scrubbes all the co2 out of the air before entering the skimmer. So your ph stablizes.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3711419610.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	75360

Will look like this
Old 02-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

There was a video on youtube but I can't seem to find it anymore.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very nice thank you! I'll wait for it to get a little older.

Thanks again! Awesome.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

This thing has been screeching like an old fan belt for the past hour!! I've tried EVERYTHING!!! I've turned it down, turned it up nothing!! This noise is horrible!!!

It seems to be effected by the amount of water flow from chamber 1 into 2. If the flow is restricted then it makes the noise. If its full force flow the skimmer is under water. I don't get it not do I understand what is going on. Then all of a sudden it stops!! Then picks up again!!

I'm seriously at wits end with this. I've contacted inTank about the issue and just waiting for a response. This is crazy to have to listen to this.

What could be wrong? Defective maybe? You know that sound when that car is just starting up and starts to move and you hear that LOUD screech?! Yeah... That's going on in my bedroom right now!!

UGH!!! Annoying!!!!

Tags
noise, tunze

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com