Tunze CO2 Diffuser - review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
I've used this item for several months now for direct injection after replacing the CO2 ceramic air stone I had running previously.

I've copied a link and blurb below for reference. Price is Australian so could be cheaper or more expensive elsewhere.

The attraction was that it should be more efficient than a glass or ceramic air stone. When working, I can just see the odd air bubble escaping every so often. Whereas the air stones always had a fine mist of bubble rising up 2 and a half feet to the surface. I also didn't really want to have too many bubbles getting sucked into filter inlets (it's a big tank to drop co2 into).

I did look at inline diffusers on the canister filters but I have a wood stand surrounded by wood book cases and trying to work with filter hose plus the risk of leakage just didn't appeal. The tank is 150 gal so it's basically going to sit there until the house falls down.

The unit is rated to almost twice that and I have it connected to a ph solenoid. Still debating if I need two of these but it has been doing the job.

The main trouble has been that in the last month it has developed an awful rattle in the pump housing. I believe this is air trapped in the housing. Possibly this is because the diffuser turns on and off at the same time as the co2.

I've just changed it to run non- stop (nothing like changing electrical connections one-handed behind the stand). I'm hoping that this will mean air or gas never has a chance to build up so it locks the unit.

I've got this week to get it sorted out or it's the bin. So basically very happy when it works and in deep trouble when it doesn't.

Age of Aquariums - Tunze CO2 Diffuser - 7074.500

Carbon dioxide distributor used to introduce higher CO2 volumes into fresh-water aquariums when little space is available. By means of a universal magnet holder it is attached directly onto the glass of the aquarium and ensures a distribution of up to four CO2 bubbles per second. In the aquarium the diffuser operates as a “stand-alone” solution with a small submerged pump which draws in the water and thoroughly mixes it with CO2. Dissolved CO2 only leaves the unit; no carbon dioxide is wasted. The diffuser is suitable for aquariums up to 1000 litres.

Pump & Magnet included
Made in Germany
2 year warranty

Update - this seems to be working. Increasing from 1bps to 2 or 3 bps to get the ph down. The limit is apparently 4 bps that it can handle so fingers crossed.

And it's still playing up. However I'm persisting with it as everything else looks like a tank re-arrange. I've ordered a second tunze diffuser and intend to put the 2nd powerhead on the other side of the t-piece. What's happening I think is the CO2 bubbles up too much and swamps the impeller. Which then starts running in basically air so can't pull water in and then the rattle starts. I'm hoping that the second powerhead will keep water being pulled into the t-piece. A grand experiment I must admit.

Found another problem which isn't helping. The water intake sits underneath and normally out of sight. That also explains how a large co2 bubble can build up inside the unit until the impeller is running dry..

Anyways rotated the water intake more to the side. Cleaned it again which I thought odd.

Working beautifully and bubbles popping out below were sucked back in with a small sound. But it's right in a high flow area and I pruned plants on weekend. The water intake is looking progressively blocked so I can see this will be a regular cleaning job. Hopefully I can just scrape the debris off the water intake without pulling the unit out.

Still waiting on second unit to arrive but that should help as well if it all fits together as I think.

I use ISTA mix max and they both have impellars that will stop spinning when the co2 builds up.
IMO(worth zero) the impellar is the least important part of the reactor.:whistle:
No moving parts in cerges or griggs reactors.
Just a place to inject co2 not in the tank.:cool:
I did mention I use two so I think regardless of the impellar you will get better saturation with two.
Don't sweat the impellars IMO.
You are WAY ahead of the game if both reactors have their own supply pump.
(y)IMO(again worth nothing) until most dedicate a pump to their co2 supply they will suffer with less then what they thought they would get(co2 and flow wise that is!).
I would never run a reactor for any of my marine tanks off of the return line.
It is insane that in the marine world it seems so clear ,yet in FW some hook up reactors(a real killer on flow and GPH) to their under powered (IMO again) canisters and wonder?
Good luck and big thanks for ALL your experiments you share!:thanks:

Thanks for reading! I must admit on some level I'm enjoying the challenge of seeing if I can get this to work but I have made a list of all the suggestions and help. I've greatly appreciated the information passed across.

I should of cleaned the internal mechanical filter this weekend but got carried away giving the foreground plants a bad haircut.

Bit disappointed the second unit hasn't arrived yet so hoping this weekend it arrives and get to play with it :)

Must start a thread to put all planted goings on in one spot.

Busy night. One family member sick, the other got stung by a bee that maybe came in off washing. Sigh.

The diffuser intake was getting blocked and could hear a small rattle. There was a leaf stuck to it so maybe it is too efficient now. Really paying for not doing the filter clean after hacking the plants back.

Anyways just rubbed my finger along to clear intake and it was back to sucking in small ships. Took longer to take tank cover off I think.

Will have to do some filter cleans next weekend.

Checked it this morning and was going nicely.

I did get a reply back that it is possible to buy a longer t-piece. Was curious and asked on price but yet to hear a reply. Not completely sure that would help.

Ok, the saga continues.

I've removed the flow controller on the unit (cut out) so I don't accidentally twist it to slow after cleaning. Now it almost works too well....

It works fairly well overall except for the problem noted above where every bit of plant debris seems to get stuck to the intake. Grrrr.

The second unit has arrived but haven't bothered unpacking as the first unit works fine when it is working. Lol.

I've put a small square of filter sponge over the intake and so far this seems to be working better. The sponge just stays on the intake without tying on or anything so this should make cleaning around the intake easier as well.

If I can get the cleaning to once a week when doing pwc I'll be happy with that. It's just a little bit of a hassle to clean it mid-week but that is backup. So I think almost there.

Success!!

The sponge pre-filter on intake is not blocking up too much so the unit is working well now. The sponge also just slows water flow down a tad so the bubbles don't get pushed out straight away but get broken up.

Back
Top Bottom