turbo twist UV sterilizer questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright, I'm convinced I need a UV sterilizer and this is the one I'm getting (the coralife turbotwist 9V). But I have some questions that hopfully someone can answer for me. First of all, I'm gettting the 9V one that states it's 100-200gph. So does this mean I need to buy a pump to go with the unit? And if so, which pump should I buy? Any other plumbing I need?

Seems like a stupid question, but I just don't know. Here's the link to the one I'm getting if you're not familiar with it....

http://www.captivereefs.com/captivereefs/detailcat.asp?CatID=uv&SubCatID=uv1#

yes you need a pump to run it, or you can plumb it inline with whatever else. a maxi 400 and enough 1/2" tubing to put it wherever you want to put it.

and the pump is to pump it to the UV sterilizer, right? Does the water just then come out of the sterilizer on the exit side? Just want to make sure I have it right. Thanks for the info Jaiden...

if you're the DIY type and have the room and need for it, build yourself a Closed Loop System(for more water current) and run your UV sterilizer through that.

I have a turbo twist 36W. I have a mag pump in the sump that pumps water to it via flexible PVC and a piece of flexible pvc at the exit of it that returns it to my sump. You can splice off a existing pump if you have some circulation that you do not need.
Does the water just then come out of the sterilizer on the exit side?
Yes

here are the instructions for the 9w turbo twist:

http://www.esuweb.com/productinstruct/pdf/096316770706.pdf#search='turbo%20twist%203x%20instructions'

Towards the bottom there is a graph that has the recommended gph rates.

55gph parasites
121gph algea
253gph bacteria

HTH

I appreciate the info very much! I cannot open the link, however, can you please repost it? thank you!

nevermind, the link works just fine, it was my internet connection..... :lol:

so now, I'm wondering where in the world I could find a pump that only pumps 55gph (assuming I didn't want to get a bigger pump and put a valve on it, because then you wouldn't really be sure how much flow was going through the sterilizer)

Thoughts?

I thought it was a 100-200 GPH UV? A mag 1 does around 80 gph. count the plumbing and bends etc. you should be around 55 GPH.

I have the same one and hooked it up to a power head that is rated at 300 gph at a 1' head. I went to home depot and bout a ball valve, plumbed it in line and then slowed the sucker down to just a gentle flow. Slower the better is the key.......

Especially with only 9 watts.

i have the turbo twist uv sterilizer. i set it up with a maxi jet 200(? i think, it was the slowest flowing i could find at the time of purchase) you put tubing from the ph to the inflow of the sterilizer and then i put tubing from the out flow of the sterilizer straight into the tank to use like a ph for current flow. works very well for me. I was told that the more tubing you add the slower the water will flow. don't know if this is actually true or not. the guy at the lfs that told me that said the for every x amount of tubing you have you lose x amount of gph but if that were true wouldn't it be true then that if you put enought tubing you would be in - gph?

Snoopybdb said:
don't know if this is actually true or not. the guy at the lfs that told me that said the for every x amount of tubing you have you lose x amount of gph but if that were true wouldn't it be true then that if you put enought tubing you would be in - gph?
It would be true if you where adding extra vertical distance via the tubing. The more resistance to gravity (head height) the water must be pushed, the lower the GPH becomes. Horizontal distance is much less taxing on performance although it too can affect performance if extended a fair bit.

Cheers
Steve

thanks for the info everyone! I ordered my UV and a mag 1 yesterday. I love this site!

Back
Top Bottom