Turf Scrubber Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brock

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm building a vertical turf scrubber for my new 95 gallon tank. The box and the screen and plumbing is no problem. What I am having a problem with is the lights to grow the screen. I want to use LEDs, but I don't know what kind are the best, and how many to use. I have heard warm whites are good for algae growth, but I have also heard on the same account that red LEDs work as well. The screen will be roughly 16 inches long by 6.5 inches tall.

Thanks for any help.

Try Lights of American Flood lights. It will emit around 6500k, which is ideal for cheap plant lights. Plus, these lights emit a lot of watts. I'm planning on using it to grow some chaeto. I think its around 13"x7", which is pretty close the dimensions of your screen.

Do you by any chance have a link to them? I had originally planned on building my own, but if they are fairly cheap then it would be easier to buy them instead if dealing with the DIY headache.

6500k is too high IMO/IME...you want the warm light not cool..More like 2700-3000K...I have always used and have great growth with the spiral bulbs ..Can't give much info on the LED's though

I'm sure that would work,,just curious,but why are you set on getting this type ,,LED i mean?You can get 8 spirals for that price..I also think you'll still need some type of reflector ..Those lights are meant to have a spread and not be concentrated to a small area,such as your screen..There will be a lot of wasted light.

6500k is too high IMO/IME...you want the warm light not cool..More like 2700-3000K...I have always used and have great growth with the spiral bulbs ..Can't give much info on the LED's though

What happens if its too high?

Most people say you won't get the desired growth,which is actually hair algae, i have found this to be true for me also....Higher watts will actually burn the algae too..Shoot for 30 watt bulbs and under and "warm" light for best results ..

Honestly, I'm not set on LEDs, just seemed like they would work as well as others. I've never worked with the spiral bulbs, or the reflectors. Where can I get the reflectors and bulbs? How much would it take?

Back
Top Bottom