Turning Magnum H.O.T. into regular canister???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

helicopter

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to try to use my Magnum H.O.T as a regular canister by extending the tubing coming from it. Do the connectors and tubing from the Magnum 350 fit onto the Magnum H.O.T.??[/code]

I have both and am confused by your question. The 350's tube doesn't fit as far as I know but I haven't tried it.

The H.O.T. is a canister filter already but if you mean you want to remove the plastic container that you keep media like AC in you can do that and just keep the tube and top plastic piece in for filtration without the media container. You do that already if swapping out the media container for the micron filter sleeve and it runs fine with just the tube but keep the top plastic piece on to hold it in place.

I've got the HOT also, and am confused also...

As a "regular canister" do you mean that you don't want it to hang on the back anymore, but be remotely located somewhere... therefore you'd need to extend the tubes?

If so, I don't think that'll work unless you had it located at the same height as it was when it was hanging on the back. That little pump probably doesn't have enough to pump much of a head.

i know what he wants to do and it will NOT WORK i tryed it with mine made it work way to hard and was making motor noise i put it back to the way it was before i killed it . and parts from the 350 will not fit the 250 they are to different models . and i know this for a fact because i have the 350 on my 135 gallon and the 250 on my 55 gallon

Well oddly enough I went to use my H.O.T. yesturday and it wouldn't start. Called Petsmart to see if they would replace and they would. I decided that while I returned I might as well just upgrade to a Magnum 350 for 42 extra bucks. I am running it on my 24 gallon nanocube with two figure 8 puffers and a black molly. It has a biolod of what probably should be a 40 gallon tank so I over compensate with water filtration and changes. I use the built in nanocube filtration system mostly for biological filtration and some mechanical filtration from the sponges. I am I crazy?

My most recent adventure is trying to replumb the Magnum. It comes with a siphon clean which is wayyyy too big for my tank. I think it is half inch tubing and a huge head. I want to plumb to 1/4 inch tubing and a much smaller gravel vac. Yeah I know that it will quadruple the water velocity but it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom