two canasters on one tank...placement of outakes and intakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snipes287

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok, so I have an 80gal (15x14x30) or something like that and I am running a cascade 1000 and a fluval 304 but would like to know where to put the intakes and outtakes. should I place both intakes on one side? (parallel, or maybe one at topish and one at bottom ish, same with the outtakes)? or should I go out take, intake, out take, intake. or intake outtake outtake intake/ vice versa? should i have both outtakes pointed the same direction? or should i have one powerhead and one spraybar? both powerheads?

so confusing 8O

In our 150 we have the outputs in the center and the inputs on the sides. The outputs are turned so they create a current, thus not leaving a dead area. I would use both powerheads. The spray bars IMO are kind of a pain. If you can, stagger the heights of the tubes. But I would definately not put the ouput next to the input.

I have the same question for a 125 gallon tank with two Filstar XP3s (no power heads), which I will be setting up when it finally comes in (it's been on order for over three weeks). It also be a planted tank with community fish.

Fishyfanatic, which way to you have the outputs to create the current?

I was thinking of putting an output on one side, then intake, then another output near the center, then the final intake. I was thinking this would create the current. It seems as though most people are using the spray bars, some enlarging the spray bar holes; so, I'm also deciding on spray bar or no spray bar. If I used the spray bar, they would be spraying from back to front??? There are just too many options here; currently I have a 75 gallon with an undergravel and one hang-on-the-back filtration, so this is all new to me too. Do any other folks out there have other arrangements or ideas?

At first I had them crossing each other, but instead I moved them to point angled towards the input. So basically the filter on the right would be slightly angled to the right. I just didn't think the tank was filtered evenly with the ouput and input next to each other. Too many dead areas.

I don't use the spray bars because you don't get as much water movement as with the power head piece.

Back
Top Bottom