Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Check out this thread by Convict. He switched from an Aqua Clear to the Fluval C4. At first he was also complaining of how loud it was (in his thread and YouTube video), then he reported it quieted down significantly... after your thread here, I asked him if his is still quiet... this might help relieve some of your apprehensions.

Convict's First Go at a Planted Tank

Old 08-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's just not relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g View Post
Check out this thread by Convict. He switched from an Aqua Clear to the Fluval C4. At first he was also complaining of how loud it was (in his thread and YouTube video), then he reported it quieted down significantly... after your thread here, I asked him if his is still quiet... this might help relieve some of your apprehensions.

Convict's First Go at a Planted Tank
I have to put up with this noise problem for what ............. a year ??????????? Forget it. I am going to return it if possible.

Mine is so annoying ........ you can hear it at the other end of the house. It has to be unplugged to sleep. Sending it back if I can ........... absolutely no response from Hagen who promises 24 hour response time. Well............... it's been 36 hours and ZERO.

This filter is the worst thing that could happen.

I have never asked for an exchange or refund of anything from Amazon. This will be my first time. Since you cannot leave a tank without a filter for days on end, I am buying a new one.

DO NOT BUY THIS WORTHLESS FILTER>

If I get a refund from Amazon for this POS filter, I'll just apply it to the next purchase I make since I use them all the time.

Life is too short to worry about saving money on the best filters ......... Yes, Petland is overpriced ....... but they allow convenient returns.

**** this kind of crap reminds me so much of GM/FORD/CHRYLER of the 1980's. Do they think they own the market ?

No. There will be another (probably foreign brand ...... soon.

Just like my entire family has bought nothing but Toyota & Lexus for the past 23 years. We so gave up the American branded car so easy.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I own two Aqua Clear 50s. The first one was quiet, however, the second one was not. I switched the impellers and now both are silent.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1792 View Post

I have to put up with this noise problem for what ............. a year ??????????? Forget it. I am going to return it if possible.

Mine is so annoying ........ you can hear it at the other end of the house. It has to be unplugged to sleep. Sending it back if I can ........... absolutely no response from Hagen who promises 24 hour response time. Well............... it's been 36 hours and ZERO.

This filter is the worst thing that could happen.

I have never asked for an exchange or refund of anything from Amazon. This will be my first time. Since you cannot leave a tank without a filter for days on end, I am buying a new one.

DO NOT BUY THIS WORTHLESS FILTER>

If I get a refund from Amazon for this POS filter, I'll just apply it to the next purchase I make since I use them all the time.

Life is too short to worry about saving money on the best filters ......... Yes, Petland is overpriced ....... but they allow convenient returns.

**** this kind of crap reminds me so much of GM/FORD/CHRYLER of the 1980's. Do they think they own the market ?

No. There will be another (probably foreign brand ...... soon.

Just like my entire family has bought nothing but Toyota & Lexus for the past 23 years. We so gave up the American branded car so easy.
Well good luck to you! Guess you're entitled to your own "opinion." Sounds like you need a hug or something... LOL
Old 08-30-2013, 11:18 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g View Post
Well good luck to you! Guess you're allowed your own "opinion." Sounds like you need a hug or something... LOL
Thanks, but no ........... I just want a quiet filter. I get plenty of hugs at home

I have a great family life. That is what counts ........ I am just irritated at a poor product quality followed by poor customer service.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a AquaClear 50 and I believe the Fulval C series is similar. My filter made a VERY loud and irritating noise to begin with. I did some research and this is a common problem with all filters that have impellers. The solution is to either try to wait it out and see if it "breaks in" and eventually builds a slime coating or to simply remove the impeller and rub a coat of Vasaline on the impeller shaft and it should be MUCH quieter. Just make sure that the impeller is sitting properly. (You can see videos on YouTube on how to do this) The Vasaline solution made my filter bearable, but it was still just slightly noticeable. After a month or so I guess a slime coat developed or something and now I can't hear it or anything. If you are still just completely unsatisfied with your filter a AquaClear would be a good choice. AquaClear is top-of-the-line. I think the Fluval C series would be good too because AquaClear and Fluval are both under the company "Hagen" I believe. Now AquaClear is advertised as "Fluval AquaClear"

I hope this can be of some help to you. I wasn't satisfied with my filter for the first 2 weeks or so but now I don't regret buying it at all. Just try the Vasaline fix (Remember you can look it up on YouTube) if that makes it bearable just wait awhile and see if it improves. It should, it did for me at least.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also about the leaking you mentioned. I have removed the motor on mine several times by taking the filter, (make sure to unplug it first) pour the water from it into the tank or a sink or something, and simply take off the motor. Never had any leaks.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt_o View Post
I have a AquaClear 50 and I believe the Fulval C series is similar. My filter made a VERY loud and irritating noise to begin with. I did some research and this is a common problem with all filters that have impellers. The solution is to either try to wait it out and see if it "breaks in" and eventually builds a slime coating or to simply remove the impeller and rub a coat of Vasaline on the impeller shaft and it should be MUCH quieter. Just make sure that the impeller is sitting properly. (You can see videos on YouTube on how to do this) The Vasaline solution made my filter bearable, but it was still just slightly noticeable. After a month or so I guess a slime coat developed or something and now I can't hear it or anything. If you are still just completely unsatisfied with your filter a AquaClear would be a good choice. AquaClear is top-of-the-line. I think the Fluval C series would be good too because AquaClear and Fluval are both under the company "Hagen" I believe. Now AquaClear is advertised as "Fluval AquaClear"

I hope this can be of some help to you. I wasn't satisfied with my filter for the first 2 weeks or so but now I don't regret buying it at all. Just try the Vasaline fix (Remember you can look it up on YouTube) if that makes it bearable just wait awhile and see if it improves. It should, it did for me at least.
Thank for sharing your story. It gave me hope.

Since the tank is so new ...... the last thing I should be doing is changing out the filter before beneficial bacteria has built up. If no improvement in two weeks, I'll try the Vaseline thing.

Hey here is a killer ........ the instructions say replace the gasket (motor seal ring) every year ........ the price ..... should be 25 cents, right?

Nope ..... $13.22 for three !!!!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZT2GZI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX 0DER
Old 08-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Take the gasket to a local hardware store, I'll bet it isn't a special size, and something you can find for less.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1792 View Post

Thank for sharing your story. It gave me hope.

Since the tank is so new ...... the last thing I should be doing is changing out the filter before beneficial bacteria has built up. If no improvement in two weeks, I'll try the Vaseline thing.

Hey here is a killer ........ the instructions say replace the gasket (motor seal ring) every year ........ the price ..... should be 25 cents, right?

Nope ..... $13.22 for three !!!!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Glad I could help!

Tags
filter, fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com