Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Two days of FluvalC3 are enough .. Best quiet filter?

This is a warning to others and a request for a suggested replacement. Complaints like mine are commonplace.

In my opinion, the Fluval C series has to be most over rated piece of junk on the market. Mine sounds like a small diesel engine.
On my 29 gallon, the rattling noise + water splashing + having to counter-intuitively keep the lid off to dampen the vibration .... is so annoying I thought I had just gotten a lemon ..... but no ..... it's NORMAL. And the cure for the rattling appears worse than the disease .. so remove motor ..... spread Vaseline on it ..... and wait for the leaks.... NO THANKS.

This youtube video explain::

Troubleshooting Fluval Filter - YouTube

(just google fluval c series rattle for the litany of complaints)

The Aqua-Tech 30-60 on my 38 gallon isn't any quieter ..... it's just not annoying .... it's got a pleasant "white noise." I love that filter because it's so customizable ..... (I have it packed full of all kinds of media).

Can someone recommend the most quiet and customizable 200 or so GPH HOB filter for a 29 gallon? Both the Aqueon 30 and 50 (200GPH, 250GPH) are on sale for $20 each on Amazon. Are these quiet ...... and do they have plenty of space to allow for customization?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts with me.

I am just going to write off the C3 as a bad experience and move on to something else.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use the Penguin 200s. I have 2 of them on my 56 and don't even know they're running.

I took out the biowheel and run Purigen and Matrix (both Seachem products), along with floss and a 50 micron pad in each.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
I use the Penguin 200s. I have 2 of them on my 56 and don't even know they're running.

I took out the biowheel and run Purigen and Matrix (both Seachem products), along with floss and a 50 micron pad in each.
That biowheel is what kept me from getting one before. I didn't know you could simply remove it. Sounds like a good choice .... I use purigen and matrix as well.

Reading reviews on many filters, this "noisy impeller" issue appears to be an industry wide consistency problem. You wouldn't think even the high end units suffer the same defects as the walmart versions.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had the issue with the 200s in the beginning, and just put a (*very*) thin coating of vaseline on the magnet, and they are completely silent now, over 20 months later.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

In my completely unscientific estimation, I think that the impeller magnets just need a little lubrication in the beginning. After a while, a little coating of "slime" (probably algae) seems to build up on it, which takes over.

Also, if you ditch the cartridges (and biowheel) that Marineland sells, you will get better filtration out of the Matrix/Purigen/floss combo.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the tip .... maybe I'll give mine a few more days before ordering a Penguin. I hesitate to take the motor off because of the horror stories I've read about leaks on those units.

Your advice on media sounds spot on. In my aqua-tech 300 GPH in my 38 gallon tank, I have 100 micron filter media pads + purigen + fluval carbon bio bag + matrix + acurel nitrate reducing pad + the original aqua-tech BIO-Fiber.
I guess you could call my water "well polished." (There is no more available space in my filter housing.)
Old 08-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

WRT the impeller noise, with the Penguin units, you don't have to remove the motor to get to the impeller, it comes right out of the top of the unit, so no need to worry about post-service leaks.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah the aqueons are basically silent but you will want to buy your own media and not use the cartridge that comes with because it is not enough media. Aqua clears are also good hobs.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
In my completely unscientific estimation, I think that the impeller magnets just need a little lubrication in the beginning. After a while, a little coating of "slime" (probably algae) seems to build up on it, which takes over.
This is precisely what happens. Now to the OP, the C series is not junk and it works very well, IMO. It starts off a little noisy, so did all my Aqua Clear filters. But once the impeller builds up a slime coat, it's dead quiet. I've 'broken the seal' plenty of times on both the C series and Aqua Clears to get to the impeller for cleaning. In the many years of using them, I have yet to experience any leaks. Let's not jump the gun here and assume things.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g View Post
This is precisely what happens. Now to the OP, the C series is not junk and it works very well, IMO. It starts off a little noisy, so did all my Aqua Clear filters. But once the impeller builds up a slime coat, it's dead quiet. I've 'broken the seal' plenty of times on both the C series and Aqua Clears to get to the impeller for cleaning. In the many years of using them, I have yet to experience any leaks. Let's not jump the gun here and assume things.
Thanks for the response. I emailed Hagen in hopes they will send me a new impeller.

I must say, after looking how the complaints of noise level on Amazon.com reviews of almost all name brand filters purchased in the last two years, it is clear product quality is deteriorating industry wide. Thus, I'll probably just live with the C3 for a while ...... even if it does not get any quieter.

Tags
filter, fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com