Two maxi-jet 1200's about right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gal and am looking to add some corals (right now I have FOWLR) is two maxi jet 1200's about right? I figure it'll put me at almost 600gph which is just over 10 gal of water movement per hr. per gallon. Is that correct?

I would add a third for more flow and a more caotic current. Your corals will like you for it.

Lando (or anyone else),
As a follow-up, would recommend going to 4 Maxijet 1200s for a 75G tank (fish and reef)?

Good question, Dr. Nate, and TIA for letting me piggyback on your question... :D

It depends on the set up. If there is no sump or fuge then yes. Put the four pwoerheads on a wave maker and you are set.

Thanks, Lando.

If there is no sump or fuge then yes.
I plan on doing a sump, and later a fuge, for when the tank matures and is ready for corals. So, with this in mind, does this mean I should do more... or less than 4?

You can get by with three for now. the return pump from the sump/fuge will add plenty of flow and turnover to the tank so a fourth is not needed.

To add my question to this....80 gal and dual returns...how many and what size maxijets should i go with? I hope to add another 80lb of LR as soon as this weekend.

so If I do have a sump with a return pump, 2 maxijet 1200's are ok for a 55?

and how should I place them in the tank? opposite each other? random heights?

I run 2 MJ 1200's in my 40gallon reef. no sump return. it's just about perfect

aim them at each other, angled slightly up towards the surface. this'll give you good surface agitation for gas exchange, and the colliding streams will create a pretty good, semi-shifting current in the tank.

Malkore--

so they should both be placed toward the bottom, facing slightly upward?

David03 said:
Lando (or anyone else),
As a follow-up, would recommend going to 4 Maxijet 1200s for a 75G tank (fish and reef)?

I'd recommend 4 MJ1200's. I have a 75 with only two and there isn't nearly enough movement. I'm gonna buy two more.

No, put them towards the top, high up, but not so high they could ever run out of the water (due to evaporation). Use the flow director piece to angle the flow at about a 30 degree angle. it should agitate the surface, and cause a good current.

I'd go with 4 MJ 1200's on a 75gal also.

Back
Top Bottom