Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I don't remember anyone saying two was more efficient than one. But one skimmer is half the work of maintaining than having two. Been there done that. Something to be said about redundancy. If one skimmer fails you have a backup on line. In my opinion it doesn't really matter much. Like having two heaters or one big one.
Redunduncy is good but if one is only half the capacity then you are taking the risk. You still end up getting a replacement.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
I also agree if your electric bill is also free and you don't mind spending twice as much time cleaning them out.
The electric bill to run a second skimmer should be pennies. And yes, the total combined capacity of the two skimmers will make a big difference.

For example, you have a 200 gallon tank. A single skimmer rated for 300 gallons would be good for a reef, or two skimmers rated at 200 gallons each would be as good or maybe even better.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

As the saying goes "there are hundred ways to skin a cat".
Old 07-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #44

2 skimmers! Let them fight for the poop!!! An at the end they still won't get it all, but more than one would
Old 07-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
So, back to my question that still was not answered-
If your theory is correct, all those skimmers with 2 and 3 pumps on them are less efficient because of the design? That's ridiculous. Water, and chopped air are mixed. The more water and chopped air you have, the more skimmate you will pull. No matter if it's 100 pumps, or 1.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
If your theory is correct, all those skimmers with 2 and 3 pumps on them are less efficient because of the design? That's ridiculous. Water, and chopped air are mixed. The more water and chopped air you have, the more skimmate you will pull. No matter if it's 100 pumps, or 1.
I agree with that. It's the total surface area of the bubbles created that counts.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I think we have been arguing with a different point of view. Let me simplify it a little bit more. If you have a 300 gal tank with 1 skimmer say for 200 gal it will work 100% by its capacity at optimum but won't be enough. You add another same size skimmer and both will split the load but each one will no longer have 100% efficiency when operated by itself. This was explained on my previous link if you read and understand it.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
I think we have been arguing with a different point of view. Let me simplify it a little bit more. If you have a 300 gal tank with 1 skimmer say for 200 gal it will work 100% at optimum but won't be enought. You add another same size skimmer and both will split the load but each one will no longer have 100% efficient when operated by itself. This was explained on my previous link if you read and understand it.
I just don't understand what you're saying. Sorry.
Both skimmers work independently of each other and each will remove skim based on its efficiency. If I run my big skimmer and get let's say, a pint of skim per day. Then add a second one, I won't see 2 pints a day, but I will get more skim than the single one produced because I am processing more water over a fixed amount of time.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #49

I don't think there is a ratio of a skimmer to gallons, it's should supply you bio load! You can have a 200 gallon with just live rock and maybe 2 fish and have a skimmer rated for a 50 gallons, 100, 200...... They all would do the same job! It all depends on what you have going in your tank
Old 07-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
That's not true. Two 200 gallon skimmers will be a 400 gallon skimmer. Possibly even better than a 400 gallon skimmer because the reaction chamber will probably be larger.
The only downside was the maintenance and slightly more electric.

Tags
big

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com