Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Had a skimmer made by Evenrude, but the wife didn't like the fumes from the outboard motor.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:56 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would get another wife oops I mean another motor.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
I would get another wife oops I mean another motor.
We are also missing 2 more factors
1, if one stopes working you still have a skimmer working
2 2 skimmers will take longer to fill ,
Old 07-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

Item 1 That's what Greg had mentioned a redundancy.
Item 2 it's because you split the bio load between the 2 skimmers. May be you need to readjust for optimum.
I would let just one starts skimming first before turning on the 2nd one. Let us know if the first one would slow down when 2nd one is on.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airgoose2222 View Post
Ill give it a shot. I think adding three pumps would make an awesome fountain!!! Whomever tries, please post a pic... Lol
Most companies makes skimmers with multiple pumps, and the reason why is efficiency. More air and water than a single pump.
Bubble Magus BM C99 In Sump Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer w/ Bubble Plate

Reef Octopus Diablo / Extreme In-Sump Protein Skimmer
Old 07-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

My Hydor 2005 has two foaming recirculating pumps, is about 2' tall and out preformed my 6' high Venturi style skimmer I had been using for many years.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Freak

The term "efficient" is being used in two different ways. On Mr.X's side efficiency is being used to describe the skimmers ability to pull out DOC's where as on Jeff's side he's using it to describe power consumption vs the amount of DOCs pulled out. Mr.X is correct in stating that one skimmer does NOT effect the others ability to pull out DOCs it just causes there to be less DOCs which in turn causes the other skimmer to be unable to pull out as much because there simply is nothing left for it to skim. It doesn't make the skimmer less efficient, it does however mean you are powering a piece of equipment that isn't working at its full potential thusly making it "inefficient" to run. In summary, I side with Mr.X, two skimmers in a sump setup don't effect each other, they both effect the water so when one pulls all the DOCs it appears as if the other is less efficient only because there are no DOCs left to pull out and the skimmers did their job "efficiently" but it is "inefficient" power consumption wise to run a skimmer that isn't skimming or only skimming half the amount it could... Clear as Mud I'm sure.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
The term "efficient" is being used in two different ways. On Mr.X's side efficiency is being used to describe the skimmers ability to pull out DOC's where as on Jeff's side he's using it to describe power consumption vs the amount of DOCs pulled out. Mr.X is correct in stating that one skimmer does NOT effect the others ability to pull out DOCs it just causes there to be less DOCs which in turn causes the other skimmer to be unable to pull out as much because there simply is nothing left for it to skim. It doesn't make the skimmer less efficient, it does however mean you are powering a piece of equipment that isn't working at its full potential thusly making it "inefficient" to run. In summary, I side with Mr.X, two skimmers in a sump setup don't effect each other, they both effect the water so when one pulls all the DOCs it appears as if the other is less efficient only because there are no DOCs left to pull out and the skimmers did their job "efficiently" but it is "inefficient" power consumption wise to run a skimmer that isn't skimming or only skimming half the amount it could... Clear as Mud I'm sure.
Well said Chris, but if you have to choose which one would you prefer. One skimmer that is enough to pick up the scum continuously and whatever is left or two skimmers that pick up scum quickly and run the rest of the day with nothing to clean? Considering of course that you have to spend twice as much cleaning them and pay the extra amount for the power consumption. Btw, I just got an hob skimmer twice the rated size of my tank and the old one is left empty handed so I moved it to my half sized nano cube and they both perform well.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

The EFFICIENCY was challenged by MR-X. What you both prefer is use more energy to do more work. Using more power does not necesarily mean being efficient.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I have NO skimmer to start, I'm going with 1 larger model, if I have a working skimmer and it just needs help to keep up, I'm going to buy a smaller second skimmer and run 2, but that's my personal opinion.

Tags
big

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com