Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also efficiency is still being used in 2 contexts. One for the efficiency with which it cleans water, the other is the efficiency of power consumption. 1 larger skimmer will usually be more power efficient but not necessarily more efficient at skimming. 2 skimmers are usually less power efficient but depending on chamber size, pump size etc. could be more efficient at skimming.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
If I have NO skimmer to start, I'm going with 1 larger model, if I have a working skimmer and it just needs help to keep up, I'm going to buy a smaller second skimmer and run 2, but that's my personal opinion.
I agree and I think that's what Doug meant. I had two skimmers for the exact same reason. But in my case I got tired of maintaining both as the new one was rated big enough for the system by itself. But there was no down side to running both. I did like the thought that if I was gone and a skimmer failed, the other one would take up the slack.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a Red Sea 60g Venturi model on my 40b and recently bought a coral life 220g pinwheel skimmer as it was on sale on drsfostersmith but had I not come across that sale I had planned on buying a small secondary skimmer to help the Red Sea. I now run 1 skimmer as I have no room nor need for another skimmer.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
Also efficiency is still being used in 2 contexts. One for the efficiency with which it cleans water, the other is the efficiency of power consumption. 1 larger skimmer will usually be more power efficient but not necessarily more efficient at skimming. 2 skimmers are usually less power efficient but depending on chamber size, pump size etc. could be more efficient at skimming.
You perfectly got it right Chris but I'm still not sure if Doug would accept that. The only thing is your last statement. You can't be less efficient in power consumption and be efficient at skimming at the same time. They should both go hand in hand. Its like driving your car faster but you are consuming more gas to travel the same distance. Moderate speed is more efficient because you consume less gas.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice Freak

All I was trying to state with my last thought was that power consumption isnt everything, more power doesn't mean a more productive skimmer. Design also plays a large role. I understand where you are coming from, on the same frame a larger pump will equal more skimming but a different design with a smaller pump might beat out a poor design with a larger pump. I look at it similar to lighting, LEDs use less power but put out more light than any type of other lighting. I was just trying to state that it is possible to do more with less.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Addict

True power is not everything but I'm just standing my ground to the question of efficiency. Design is another factor but it is besides the point here. I am not arguing which one would skim faster. However assuming all skimmers involved here have exactly the same design. I bet you the larger unit can clean up better than any of the 2 smaller ones even combined.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
True power is not everything but I'm just standing my ground to the question of efficiency. Design is another factor but it is besides the point here. I am not arguing which one would skim faster. However assuming all skimmers involved here have exactly the same design. I bet you the larger unit can clean up better than any of the 2 smaller ones even combined.
Maybe not. If the skimmers were on the same sump, maybe. But mine were located in different parts of the system which covers multiple tanks. The DOCs delivered to my two sumps could be different (although they eventually mix) and the closest skimmer will get most of it, if your premise that otherwise the skimmers were equal, the amount of skim would depend on its location.

Other than the pennies it takes to run a second unit, I don't see any real downside of doing it either way.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
There are pumps (the sicce's come to mind) that use very little power and pull a lot of air and water. 2 skimmers with these pumps could outdo a larger skimmer with a larger, less efficient pump. It's all up to what you choose.
Efficiency is efficiency, period. It's a combination of energy consumption and cleaning the water. Not one or the other.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
There are pumps (the sicce's come to mind) that use very little power and pull a lot of air and water. 2 skimmers with these pumps could outdo a larger skimmer with a larger, less efficient pump. It's all up to what you choose.
Efficiency is efficiency, period. It's a combination of energy consumption and cleaning the water. Not one or the other.
Again, for the last time for me, it is airflow (bubble creation) and pump type that controls how many bubbles and how fine the bubbles (increasing surface area) the system creates. The next variable is the size and design of the reaction chamber. Fold back designs are popular now to decrease skimmer height so they can fit in cabinets but still keeps the water in contact with the bubbles as long as possible.

It is the surface tension across the face of a bubble that is "sticky" to long chain protein molecules. It is these protein chains that skimmers lift from the water before your biological filtration has to break them down.

The more bubbles the better.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Again, for the last time for me, it is airflow (bubble creation) and pump type that controls how many bubbles and how fine the bubbles (increasing surface area) the system creates. The next variable is the size and design of the reaction chamber. Fold back designs are popular now to decrease skimmer height so they can fit in cabinets but still keeps the water in contact with the bubbles as long as possible.

It is the surface tension across the face of a bubble that is "sticky" to long chain protein molecules. It is these protein chains that skimmers lift from the water before your biological filtration has to break them down.

The more bubbles the better.
Your point is it depends on the design and the optimum adjustment. While Doug is bringing up a more efficient unit which also a consideration of the design. The question is does it answer the question of this thread which is 2 units or 1?

Tags
big

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com