Two Protien Skimmers instead of 1 big one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I run 2 skimmers as well and they both run at full speed and they both have to get cleaned At the same time from all the gunk meaning they both do a great job! One is on one side of my tank and one on the other! Why use one if you have two

I ran two skimmers for years with no problems. Finally went to just one to simplify my cleaning routine, which has gone out of control, but that's another topic.
I would prefer to have one giant skimmer rather than two smaller ones for simplicity sake.

From an engineers stand point. It is about total bubble surface area and "dwell time" the bubbles have in contact with the water. Doesn't matter in the least if it is done with one, two or five skimmers, if the total bubble surface area and dwell time is the same. The finer the bubbles, the more surface area they present. By recirculating the bubbles, you increase the dwell time. Pretty simple.

I love watching y'all argue. :)

Last edited:
I ran two skimmers for years with no problems. Finally went to just one to simplify my cleaning routine, which has gone out of control, but that's another topic.
I would prefer to have one giant skimmer rather than two smaller ones for simplicity sake.
Actually, IMO that would be the best answer to the question Greg. The only issue is when someone question one of the reasons. At least we kept you entertained lol.

Just for those who are thinking of having pumps installed in parallel, this article may give you some pointers to do it the right way. Just take note that the last paragraph it says

"In summary, parallel pump systems are more expensive, less efficient, and create problems with load sharing that single pumps do not."

Parallel Pumping Considerations

Taken out of context. As you can see from the picture all of those pumps are inline, and not in a common mass of water.

hi new to this site but hit on this discussion. I have 2 skimmers. the original skimmer was not man enough for my new tank so i got a new skimmer, but nothing wrong with the old one so i decided to use both! now the only thing i could see is the smaller , older skimmer seams less efficient, maybe this is because the new bigger one is better but they are both pulling out stuff

Attachments

• IMG_8946.jpg
    IMG_8946.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 75
How can 2 not as efficient as 1 ? 2 is double 1 so it must perform better
I would say the 2 skimmers do perform better but better enough to justify the extra £ not sure !

It's about total air flow as mentioned earlier. If the pumps don't interfere with each other, it should work fine having multiple skimmers. Maybe it's not as efficient as one big one, or maybe it's more efficient as multiple skimmers can be placed a different areas of the flow and could perhaps pick up more than a single one.

But both ideas have merit, but not enough for you to go blow a lot of money.

The question is not which one works better or it would work or not. Efficient means the over all performance that is with less maintenance, less power losses, less head aches and etc. Of course having 2 skimmers may have better skimming but they may not be consuming less or equal power as the single bigger unit. Assuming all units are on their optimum settings, the time dwell of bubbles depends on the pump capacity. With 2 lesser capacity pumps, each can only skim as much.

I will have to go along with Jeff. Mr. X your setup is somewhat unique in that you have 2 large sumps each with a skimmer so having 2 skimmers make sense and works but to me having two skimmers side by side in one sump isn't the best idea because the second skimmer isn't working as well as if it were alone. It is getting leftover organics that the first skimmer missed the first time but would eventually get as more water is circulated to it. Since skimmers are not able to get 100% of all water at one time it relys on the water the is circulated to it via the return pump flow and its own pump.

Both skimmers will have skimmate but the overall performance isn't any better than one bigger skimmer. But you will have twice the amount of work.

I don't remember anyone saying two was more efficient than one. But one skimmer is half the work of maintaining than having two. Been there done that. Something to be said about redundancy. If one skimmer fails you have a backup on line. In my opinion it doesn't really matter much. Like having two heaters or one big one.

I agree but if the second skimmer is free ! Why not let it take out what it can ?

Let me get this right skimmer 1 is rated 500lts skimmer 2 is rated 1500lts that is the power of2000lts ! Isn't that better ?

Back
Top Bottom