Two Protien Skimmers instead of 1 big one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't remember anyone saying two was more efficient than one. But one skimmer is half the work of maintaining than having two. Been there done that. Something to be said about redundancy. If one skimmer fails you have a backup on line. In my opinion it doesn't really matter much. Like having two heaters or one big one.
Redunduncy is good but if one is only half the capacity then you are taking the risk. You still end up getting a replacement.

I also agree if your electric bill is also free and you don't mind spending twice as much time cleaning them out.

The electric bill to run a second skimmer should be pennies. And yes, the total combined capacity of the two skimmers will make a big difference.

For example, you have a 200 gallon tank. A single skimmer rated for 300 gallons would be good for a reef, or two skimmers rated at 200 gallons each would be as good or maybe even better.

2 skimmers! Let them fight for the poop!!! An at the end they still won't get it all, but more than one would

So, back to my question that still was not answered-
If your theory is correct, all those skimmers with 2 and 3 pumps on them are less efficient because of the design? That's ridiculous. Water, and chopped air are mixed. The more water and chopped air you have, the more skimmate you will pull. No matter if it's 100 pumps, or 1.

If your theory is correct, all those skimmers with 2 and 3 pumps on them are less efficient because of the design? That's ridiculous. Water, and chopped air are mixed. The more water and chopped air you have, the more skimmate you will pull. No matter if it's 100 pumps, or 1.

I agree with that. It's the total surface area of the bubbles created that counts.

I think we have been arguing with a different point of view. Let me simplify it a little bit more. If you have a 300 gal tank with 1 skimmer say for 200 gal it will work 100% by its capacity at optimum but won't be enough. You add another same size skimmer and both will split the load but each one will no longer have 100% efficiency when operated by itself. This was explained on my previous link if you read and understand it.

I think we have been arguing with a different point of view. Let me simplify it a little bit more. If you have a 300 gal tank with 1 skimmer say for 200 gal it will work 100% at optimum but won't be enought. You add another same size skimmer and both will split the load but each one will no longer have 100% efficient when operated by itself. This was explained on my previous link if you read and understand it.

I just don't understand what you're saying. Sorry.
Both skimmers work independently of each other and each will remove skim based on its efficiency. If I run my big skimmer and get let's say, a pint of skim per day. Then add a second one, I won't see 2 pints a day, but I will get more skim than the single one produced because I am processing more water over a fixed amount of time.

I don't think there is a ratio of a skimmer to gallons, it's should supply you bio load! You can have a 200 gallon with just live rock and maybe 2 fish and have a skimmer rated for a 50 gallons, 100, 200...... They all would do the same job! It all depends on what you have going in your tank

That's not true. Two 200 gallon skimmers will be a 400 gallon skimmer. Possibly even better than a 400 gallon skimmer because the reaction chamber will probably be larger.
The only downside was the maintenance and slightly more electric.

That's not true. Two 200 gallon skimmers will be a 400 gallon skimmer. Possibly even better than a 400 gallon skimmer because the reaction chamber will probably be larger.
The only downside was the maintenance and slightly more electric.

+1 that's how I see it. Bio load is relative to the equation. Bubbles As many as you can generate in a reaction system that gives them maximum exposure for the water flow rate. I am sure there is a calculator for that in the water treatment industry.

I just don't understand what you're saying. Sorry.
Both skimmers work independently of each other and each will remove skim based on its efficiency. If I run my big skimmer and get let's say, a pint of skim per day. Then add a second one, I won't see 2 pints a day, but I will get more skim than the single one produced because I am processing more water over a fixed amount of time.
Please read the post of OliverB at bottom of page 3. The 1st skimmer works fine by itself but when another skimmer was added its performance dropped down significantly. That means the pump is no longer efficient than before. We are talking about skimmers next to each other at the sump.

I think everyone is missing the point of EFFICIENCY. I am not arguing about how many skimmers that works best. Of course common sense will tell you that the 2 skimmers would collectively will have more skim than just one of them, duh. The question is are they both efficient that you don't waste energy? If one of them is collecting just 50% than when by itself then it is obviously 50% efficient. Each pump still runs and consumes the same power as when running individually. Meaning you are consuming and paying the wasted energy. It doesn't matter if the cost is very cheap but the issue is EFFICIENCY.

Just for those who are thinking of having pumps installed in parallel, this article may give you some pointers to do it the right way. Just take note that the last paragraph it says

"In summary, parallel pump systems are more expensive, less efficient, and create problems with load sharing that single pumps do not."

Parallel Pumping Considerations

This article is completely out of context. The efficiency of the pump is impacted by the inlet pressure (net pos suction head available) which in a closed system can be impacted by parallel pumps. However fish tanks are open systems where the inlet pressure to each pump is affected by the actual pump and the height of water it is in. Assuming the water level stays the same there is no negative impact to adding another.

Okay, I'll chime in to try and simplify as much as possible. If you have one pump with 100 GPH water flow creating 1000 bubbles per hour as well, one protein skimmer will, in turn, receive 100 GPH and 1000 bubbles. If another protein skimmer is added, and the flow (of both water and bubbles) is equally split, each will now receive 50 GPH and 500 bubbles. This is as simple as it gets from my point of view. (Of course talking about skimmers that receive bubbles from the pump) If the skimmers create their own bubbles with an air pump, then only the water flow is divided which will still diminish the amount of water in contact with bubbles. Skimmers are built with a certain flow to bubble ratio for maximum efficiency. If you can reach that efficiency level with one pump great, but you will not be using the "stock" pump packaged with the skimmer. Hope this helps!! And ends the debate... Lol.

A larger skimmer will have a larger pump. How do you know they will be 50% as efficient?
All skimmers being different and using different pumps and pulling different amounts of air would make your statement false. Basically then, all you would have to do is find 2 smaller skimmers that pull more air collectively than your larger skimmer, and use less wattage.

Who's splitting the amount of water that is fed to the skimmers? Who's limiting it?

I never referred to the skimmers using the same pump or inlet. On a open system like a sump, two independent skimmers of the same size and design doubles the amount of foam and doubles the reaction chamber size.

Okay, since there are two skimmers independent of each other, at some point, you will run out of skimmate. You could add a thousand skimmers, and if they are all pulling out nasty skimmate, them keep on going adding more. It's simply how much money and space you have until you reach a point that you have an adequate skimming efficiency for your tank. Any more than that, and you're wasting your time and money.

A larger skimmer will have a larger pump. How do you know they will be 50% as efficient?
All skimmers being different and using different pumps and pulling different amounts of air would make your statement false. Basically then, all you would have to do is find 2 smaller skimmers that pull more air collectively than your larger skimmer, and use less wattage.

Who's splitting the amount of water that is fed to the skimmers? Who's limiting it?
The scenario is the actual system that OliverB is experiencing with his 2 skimmers.

Back
Top Bottom