Two Protien Skimmers instead of 1 big one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TimaT

Aquarium Advice Activist
It will be a lot cheaper for me to just add another 150gal rated skimmer rather than buy a skimmer that's rated for 300gal + for my 200gal aquarium.

what do you think?

But power consumption wouldn't even be close. I would say sell what you got and put that towards a larger skimmer.

Plus more noise.. I swear I bought a Chinese skimmer for my 220 and it is noisy as all heck, I would go nuts with two of them

It will be a lot cheaper for me to just add another 150gal rated skimmer rather than buy a skimmer that's rated for 300gal + for my 200gal aquarium.

what do you think?
Having 2 skimmers in sump means more heat to your tank. Both will be inefficient making each one less effective in a sense that having less bubbles means less skimming.

I run 2 skimmers. I don't see any problem with it if you have room. The downside would be space, some heat, and power consumption, although, a larger skimmer will have a larger pump, which will also generate more heat.
I don't see any reason why they would be inefficient.

I recently read a study, wish i could remember where, but it said that running 2 skimmers wasnt as good as running one. Again, just read that recently have no idea if its true or not.
Why not sell the current skimmer and get a single large skimmer?

A double sized skimmer has less power losses compared to 2 skimmers half the size. It will also suck the minute nutrients that the half sized can not. It is similar to having 2 less effective power heads for surface agitation.

I don't know about comparing power heads, and small skimmers not being able to suck minute nutrients, but skimming is all about air bubbles making contact with dissolved organics, and whether it's 2 reaction chambers or one, should not make a difference.
What about a skimmer that has 2 or 3 pumps as opposed to 1? Is that less efficient?
I don't see any logical reason this scenario would not work.

Below is a picture of my sumps. I have 2 drains on my tank, going into 2 socks, then through 2 skimmers, one on each drain. It works quite well.
img_2574847_0_efae4232f731163e35c9fb6d77e665e1.jpg

We are talking about a 200 gal tank with a 150 skimmer that only works best for 75 gal. Less bubbles means less efficient. You can fill up the rests. The same thing as a power head that is half the size than one that can effectively agitate water surface for oxygen. I am not talking about 1 unit that is already doing its job and then double it.

So, then if the OP added a skimmer rated for the balance, why do you think this wouldn't work? Are you just saying skimmers are rated loosely? I'm not getting the point here, and I am still not hearing from anyone why 2 skimmers would be less efficient.

So, then if the OP added a skimmer rated for the balance, why do you think this wouldn't work? Are you just saying skimmers are rated loosely? I'm not getting the point here, and I am still not hearing from anyone why 2 skimmers would be less efficient.
It's a game of tag of war for 2 skimmers.

What does that mean? That's your evidence? Your data to discourage the use of 2 skimmers?
Do you mean tUg of war? That's ridiculous. They are not working against each other at all. Then if your theory is correct, would you say that algae and a skimmer work against each other too? How about a mechanical filter and a skimmer? They are both collecting DOC's from the water column, right? C'mon!

No way. If that was the case, it would lower the water level in that area because not enough water is entering the chamber.
So, then 2 return pumps would be the same right? 2 return pumps in the same return area would not work as well as a single one?
It's impossible for a pump on one side of a box of water to effect a pump on the other side.

Suction is more efficient with less restrictions. It is not very signicant but with another pump sucking the water it has a restriction effect to the other thus a tug of war. This makes each one less efficient compared to be just by itself and not comparing with another pump. Remember the issue is efficiency.

What you are proposing is impossible with the scenario painted above. I can understand if you have 2 pumps connected by a pipe, pulling against each other, but not in a container of water large enough for 2 skimmers, being fed by a pump strong enough to feed both. Even without the right amount of water entering the skimmer compartment, all that would happen is dwell time would increase.
You didn't address my other related questions, about multiple pumps on a skimmer, and 2 return pumps. Your theory would have to include these. 2 or 3 pumps working off of the same reaction chamber would be a waste of time according to your theory.

What I am saying is that the 2 half sized skimmers will have lesser effectiveness than the full sized. I can relate that to having to choose between the two 22 caliber and a 45 caliber gun. Having 2 skimmers with their own container is totally a different scenario. Suction sharing same pipe is an over exageration but yes 1 container would act as 1 large tube with your pumps inside it.

What I am saying is that the 2 half sized skimmers will have lesser effectiveness than the full sized.
I know you are saying that, but you aren't giving any logic to support your theory.
2 different caliber bullets is hardly an accurate analogy. There is muscle velocity, trajectory, the weight of the projectile, coatings, design (hollow points, full metal jacket etc.), barrel length, etc to determine which is more efficient.

I rest with the yet ignored example of the skimmer with 2 or 3 pumps. Drill a hole in the side of your skimmer and add an extra pump, pulling more air, and you'll have a more efficient skimmer, even though it's pulling water from the same source.

I believe that two half sized skimmers would be just as efficient as one full sized skimmer because they are both pulling in the same water and processing in the same way as the full sized skimmer the full sized skimmer can just do it faster but if 1 of the half sized skimmers is pulling out half of what the full size skimmers pulling out every hour then shouldn't two of the half sized skimmers be able to pull out just as much skimmate per hour as the full sized skimmer? Or is there a hole in my logic?

Back
Top Bottom