Two small chloramine filters vs one large one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Muscle

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm doing research on chloramine removing filters and I'm trying to get a better understanding of which setup is better, two smaller filters or one larger one.

For example I've read multiple times that it's a good idea to use two 10" chloramine filters in series. That way when one starts to get depleted and allows some chloramines thru the second filter will kick in. This way you can take advantage of the first filter until it's completely depleted instead of replacing it when it just starts to let chloramine through.

However, the normal 10" chloramine filters have a fairly small capacity compared to the larger 20" or Big Blue filters. For example the standard 10" can filter 1000G at 1gpm, while the Big Blue 10" can filter 3000G at double the flow and probably closer to 8000G at 1gpm. That makes me think that it might be significantly better to go with a single Big Blue 10" filter instead of two smaller filters in series.

However, I'm wondering why I'm not seeing this setup more often. Am I missing something with my reasoning?

Thanks,
Harry

In most cases the 20 inch filters cost more then 2 10inch filters.
I prefer redundant filters . I added extra sediment canisters in front of my 6 stage system?
When the chloramine filter fails it will ruin the TFC....
They don't seem to offer any discounts on the big filters either at BRS?

In most cases the 20 inch filters cost more then 2 10inch filters.
I prefer redundant filters . I added extra sediment canisters in front of my 6 stage system?
When the chloramine filter fails it will ruin the TFC....
They don't seem to offer any discounts on the big filters either at BRS?
Hi, yes the 20" definitely costs more than double, but based on the specs they last about 5x longer making it actually significant cheaper to run.

Thanks,
Harry

Does the large 20" filter set up also cost 2x as much as the set up with 2 smaller filters?
Yes, more or less, but based on specs it lasts about 5x longer making it cheaper in the long term.

Harry

Good to know, and the 3x $ fact is likely the reason many people choose the lower cost option.

Is there even a Chloramine test available to know when it isn't working? Sounds like a possible dangerous situation for the tank. I would be concerned, and see why someone might use the 2 filter option.

Back
Top Bottom