types of filters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginty

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi guys.
Could someone please explain to me the difference in performance of different types of filters?

ie. hang on the back filter. if i got on of these would i have to cut a slot in my lid?
external filter. and a internal filter.

could you tell me how often you have to change components on the external and hang on the back filters?
i have an internal one at the moment and it pretty easy to maintain.

i have a 28l tank but ive upgraded to a 101l tank. so i need a decent filter that isnt going to cost me an arm and a leg to buy or maintain.

please dont get too technical. im rather new to all this.

Thankyou in advance for your help. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

someone???

Internal filters are OK for smaller tanks and are used many times with foam covers so tiny fry don't get sucked in. They are better at biological function than mechanical debris removal. When you go to clean them, a lot of debris gets back into the water when you disturb them. But they definitely have their use.
HOB (hang on back) and Canister filters offer much higher flow (turnover) rates and are sold in many sizes to match whatever size tank you have. They are capable of mechanical and biological filtration with options for chemical treatment of water issues. The most popular flow rate used is 4 to 6 times the tank's volume per hour. HOBs are easy to clean with canisters being only slightly more involved.
As with any tool, what type of filter you want depends on what you want it to accomplish for you. Most canisters and some models of HOBs let you change around the layers of filter media depending on what you want it to do. Hope this helps, You can google and study the set ups of many of these filters. OS.

Ginty, with your tank you will be perfectly fine with a HOB. Take a look at aquaclear or marineland model appropriate for your tank size.

Difference is internal is inside tank, HOB as name implies hangs on a side of tank, canister sits nearby and water circulated through it via hoses.

Ginty, with your tank you will be perfectly fine with a HOB. Take a look at aquaclear or marineland model appropriate for your tank size.

Difference is internal is inside tank, HOB as name implies hangs on a side of tank, canister sits nearby and water circulated through it via hoses.

thankyou for your reply.
what about external filters. im looking at a couple and the sgow you all different trays.(not sure what they are all for)

i like the look of the HOB filters. im not sure whether my lid will allow me to have one.
Do i cut a slot in the lid to allow room for a HOB filter?? there isnt nowhere for an external one either. one little slot that allowes the light cable to run outside :/

to be honest im unsure what filter to get. i dont really want to spend more than £40 if im honest. and i dont want one that is going to cost me lots of money each month.

Back
Top Bottom