Types of Silicone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

halfcent

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is there a special type of silicone to use on the inside of a tank that is harmless to fish? I want to build a cave out of slate and I thought I could use silicone to keep the pieces from moving but I don't want to poison anything.

They say GE Silicone I (100% Silicone) will work. I personally pay the premium for the stuff labeled "Aquarium Silicone". The key is to make sure it does not contain any of those anti-mold/mildew additives and that it is 100%.

I wonder where I could find some of this aquarium silicone. Do building supply outlets like say Home Depot have it?

You will pay a lot more for silicone that is labeled "Aquarium Silicone".

Just use GE Silicone I Window & Door 100% Clear Silicone that you can buy from Home Depot.

Just make sure that it says 100% Clear Silicone and that the bottle makes no mention of "Bio-Seal" or anything about a mildew inhibitor.

DAP makes great silicone, IMO. I'd go with that - and I know my silicones. You can buy DAP at home improvement stores, or some LFS carry it.

Look for something like "aquarium safe" or just make sure it doesn't include any sort of antibacterial ingredient.

Thanks everyone for help, I was able to get some clear silicone from Home Hardware (Canada) that says right on it that it is safe for aquariums.
My next question is: can you use a small dab of silicone for anchoring plants to rocks.

Silicones (this type, at least) are better at being sealants than adhesives. It may work for a short while, but fall off later. There are probably better products out there if you're looking for an adhesive.

Back
Top Bottom