Ugh Issue Number 19980909 :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zebbyboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
The pump is not working.

I filled the water up to the filtration chambers, switched the black foam with the filter floss, and put the media together in one chamber.

I plugged in the filter and it's making a stutterting sound and nothing is coming in or out. But I do not think it's broken because I felt my hand under into the pump and I can feel the water moving from it.

Suggestioms?

Moved to the General hardware/equipment forum.

What kind of filter do you have? Did you check the impellar?

If this is a HOB it could be because the loss of suction on the pump. I know that when I have to change filters out on my FW tank I have to make sure that the filter is full of water and sometimes have to even pour water into the intake tube area to get the suction going...

No, it's built in with my visioncube. I followed the instructions and filled the water equal to it. Should the water be over the pump and the part where the water is coming in? And I am thinking about taking all the media out then turning it on to see if it works?

*Sorry guys, I meant the pump or not the filter or if they are the same :p

I don't know much about that...I would guess that the pump needs to be underwater to work properly though....can you post a pic?

Sure I'll try later, I don't know, is there maybe something blocking it? Would it be ok to take the media out and run the pump to see if that's the case?

I don't see why not...I have several different HOB filters that I have run just for flow with nothing in them at all

Ok well I think I have figured the issue out. I think it is positioned wrong because when I moved around it would have a little water begin to come out. Here's a pic I took it out of the tank along with thte tube as well that the water is pushed through to go out. Could someone walk me through on how to get it in right?

And also, since this is a weak pump, how much force will I see to know that it is working right? Will there even be any bubbling at the surface?

Attachments

• im000736_590.jpg
    im000736_590.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 650
Well that is a definately a submereged pump. I expect it is around 80 to 90gph. I have a few pumps about that size and that is what they move. Is that a dial on the front that I'm seeing? IF it is you may want to make sure that it is opened up to allow the max flow through the pump. Make sure that the tube that connects to the pump is connected to the pump good. Have you tried just putting the pump without antyhing attached to it into the water and make sure that it is moving water?

No but I will try that now good idea! I have it on the max for it since it is a weak pump. And how do the two connect together?

There should be a hosebarb type fitting on the pump for the hose to fit on. If not that may be the problem...when you cleaned your filter out you may have tossed it accidentally....look in the chamber to see if it has come off...

Oh no I took the hose filter out lol I have it right here to fit on. It's almost impossible to get the pump though to hook up with the hose. When it was shipped it obviously wasn't done yet. Should the pump be face up so it flows upward into the hose? I tried this but it doesn't work. The pump does work, I put it into the tank. Just I don't know can it be hooked up to the side and still get into the hose?

Wait a hosebarb fitting for the pump fitting it to the hose? What does this look like?

Hi, well guess what happened.

I found the piece it was stuck in the tube...

It came out and I stuck it in.

NEW problem: The hose would not connect to the tank. :[.

Well guess what happened after that.

I opened up the top like normal and very very cheap plastic hinges, well you do the math. Snapped instantly and I barely had it opened. Whole top fell off.

Thank god I bought from Costco so I can get the full refund, but this is very discouraging. I don't know if I even want to mess with this hobby anymore, after what happened now it's frusturating. Even more stressful because I put all the time and money into it. Thanks to everyone who have been helping me I appreciate it.

Here's advice: NEVER by a nano tank, they are cheap inexpensive, the parts do not work, the filter chambers are too tiny for the pumps, and it was not a well made aquarium. I want to get a nice glass 12 or 20 gal if I do it again, but then that will cost hundreds of dollars with a heater, a pump, filtration system. So I don't know guess it might not be worth it.

Update again!: I refunded the costco money for 105 went to petco and was able to pick up an all glass 15 gal regular aquarium included with a more powerful HOB filter, a heater, a good pack of filtration systen and media, detailed instructions, and a take off lid. And for only 60$ I thought it was a steal! :D. It even came with declorifyer and food.

Thanks for all your help and I think I will be on my way now! I'll post pics when I get it up after the cycle with fish guys!

Just to let you know...a tank that small is going to require you to spend every day making sure that the water is topped off and at the correct temp and that all parameters are checked regularly. I don't want to discourage you further but you have your work cut out for you! If youdo it right and take your time and keep up with it that can be an awesome little tank. I have a 5g nano but i also have a 72g bow front mixed reef that has a total water volume of 120g with sumps and fuge.

I will! Another update it's up and running and everything is working. Temp is at 76 degress and its beautiful for a regular tank :D. I'm going to let it run overnight and then begin cycling tommorow. Thanks for your advice!

Anytime!

Please don't cycle with live fish. Use some LR and a raw shrimp. Make sure to test your water and watch for the ammonia spike and then the nitrite and finally the nitrate. If you get enough LR to start with you may not have much of a cycle at all. Don't get ahead of yourself, take your time and make sure your tank is ready before you start adding livestock.

And get some pics posted, we all love to see new tanks!!!

Happy Reefing!

Question about that. I bought a basalt from the lfs but I don't think this counts for lr? What would you suggest?

Back
Top Bottom