Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2004, 01:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

ulra-sonic mister

Has any one ever seen one of these used in an aquarium or know if it would be harmfull to the fish or glass? They are sold for pond use and say not harmfull to humans of animals.

Old 08-09-2004, 01:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I know that many fish are capable of hearing ultrasonic frequencies. I don't know about thresholds for tropical fish, but I think goldfish can hear up to around 50kHz, and research at University of Maryland has found that shad can hear up to 180kHz. I personally wouldn't do it. We have an ultrasonic water bath in the lab for disrupting bacterial cells, and you get a headache if you're near it for too long.

They look cool, though. What were you planning on using it for? To get cool mist on top, or for oxygenation? I would probably only use it in a semi-aquatic or terrarium-type setting, where you had a separate pool with the mister. One thing to note is that any salts in the water are misted (mistified?) along with the water, so you may get salt deposits on everything with this unit.

Hope this helps.

poikilotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 02:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was planning on using it for a "paludarium" style tank with archers mabey a knewt and a lizzard. I was hoping to keep it as low salt as possible due to the plants (terrestrial) that I want to keep. Other than that, keeping it out of the main water area sound like a better idea. thanks.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's the word I was looking for, paludarium. Sound just travels so well underwater that I wouldn't want it right in there with the fish.

Have fun, sounds like a great setup!
poikilotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 03:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

The ultrasonic frequency it uses can actually damage tissue. I have one of those for Halloween effects and the instructions warn not to put your fingers in the water with it or touch it while it is on. I would make sure animals or fish couldn't get near it.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com