ulra-sonic mister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquakev

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has any one ever seen one of these used in an aquarium or know if it would be harmfull to the fish or glass? They are sold for pond use and say not harmfull to humans of animals.

I know that many fish are capable of hearing ultrasonic frequencies. I don't know about thresholds for tropical fish, but I think goldfish can hear up to around 50kHz, and research at University of Maryland has found that shad can hear up to 180kHz. I personally wouldn't do it. We have an ultrasonic water bath in the lab for disrupting bacterial cells, and you get a headache if you're near it for too long.

They look cool, though. What were you planning on using it for? To get cool mist on top, or for oxygenation? I would probably only use it in a semi-aquatic or terrarium-type setting, where you had a separate pool with the mister. One thing to note is that any salts in the water are misted (mistified?) along with the water, so you may get salt deposits on everything with this unit.

Hope this helps.

I was planning on using it for a "paludarium" style tank with archers mabey a knewt and a lizzard. I was hoping to keep it as low salt as possible due to the plants (terrestrial) that I want to keep. Other than that, keeping it out of the main water area sound like a better idea. thanks.

That's the word I was looking for, paludarium. Sound just travels so well underwater that I wouldn't want it right in there with the fish.

Have fun, sounds like a great setup!

The ultrasonic frequency it uses can actually damage tissue. I have one of those for Halloween effects and the instructions warn not to put your fingers in the water with it or touch it while it is on. I would make sure animals or fish couldn't get near it.

Back
Top Bottom