Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Man, I'm really digging this one:http://www.amazon.com/Landen-Gallon-...Low+iron+tanks

Old 07-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've wanted a rimless tank for a while but the fact is I'm not paying $30+ for a 5g tank just because it has no rim.

If you want one new that's the price you pay here.

Is rather just buy a 10g with a rim for $10 brand new.

Caleb

Old 07-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I got one and broke the bottom out! Now buying a used Mr. Aqua.

The cost is a major factor, but also people don't like their fish to jump out and the evaporation is a big issue, then buy a separate and expensive light is another factor. Most people not on a forum don't know what they are supposed to buy because the low iron tanks are not readily available. If the light isn't included, again many people who aren't familiar don't know what kind, type, amount of light to buy, so it is too confusing so just get a kit.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealife View Post
Can I ask, does adding iron to glass strengthen it?

What is thr purpose of it, as the CON is it adds green tinge color to glass.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
The more iron glass has, the weaker it would be. People are making all sorts of effort to get iron out of glass to make it crystal clear. However doing so needs expensive technology and up the price of low iron tanks.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
I got one and broke the bottom out! Now buying a used Mr. Aqua.

The cost is a major factor, but also people don't like their fish to jump out and the evaporation is a big issue, then buy a separate and expensive light is another factor. Most people not on a forum don't know what they are supposed to buy because the low iron tanks are not readily available. If the light isn't included, again many people who aren't familiar don't know what kind, type, amount of light to buy, so it is too confusing so just get a kit.
Yes, I agree that fish jumping out of the tank is a big issue. Yes I am actually thinking of importing glass from Asia and manufacture low iron tanks on my own. I just want to get a sense on what kind of tanks will catch people's eyes. In order for the tanks to sell, do you think I should also add lights and filtration to the tanks?
Old 07-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
So are you trying to start a business or interested in importing them or what?
Right on the money, I am thinking of manufacturing low iron tanks that are less expensive than what's available today(without compromising the quality). I am just eager to find out if people will be interested in it when it's available or what should I do to expand the market. Thank you for sharing your ideas
Old 07-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
I've wanted a rimless tank for a while but the fact is I'm not paying $30+ for a 5g tank just because it has no rim.

If you want one new that's the price you pay here.

Is rather just buy a 10g with a rim for $10 brand new.

Caleb
That makes sense. But these days can you really get a 10gal with a rim for $10? The 5 gal plug-n-play nano aquarium cost me 125 dollars at the local store, geez.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:37 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyrock View Post
That makes sense. But these days can you really get a 10gal with a rim for $10? The 5 gal plug-n-play nano aquarium cost me 125 dollars at the local store, geez.

Yeah at the chain stores here the 10g is frequently on sale for $10. No sense paying so much more for the same tank with thicker glass and no rim in my eyes. I'm cheap though to an extent.

Caleb
Old 07-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow, those are so incredibly beautiful! But, for the "average-joe" like me, may be too expensive. (I got a 55gal glass complete with lights and a stand for $115, 12yrs ago and now it's falling apart.) Did AutumnSky say the bottom fell out!!!??? Do those stand the test of time? Also, the largest on that ad-page was 48 gals.

Now that my tank is failing, I would love a 55 that looked like that! WOW! Yes, sell in the U.S!!!

I think the hood should be included and a stand, but not sure about a filter.

What would total cost be for a 48gal with a hood and a stand? I'm new here, so it's exciting to see what's out there. Thanks, -Amanda.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by schpanky View Post
Wow, those are so incredibly beautiful! But, for the "average-joe" like me, may be too expensive. (I got a 55gal glass complete with lights and a stand for $115, 12yrs ago and now it's falling apart.) Did AutumnSky say the bottom fell out!!!??? Do those stand the test of time? Also, the largest on that ad-page was 48 gals.

Now that my tank is failing, I would love a 55 that looked like that! WOW! Yes, sell in the U.S!!!

I think the hood should be included and a stand, but not sure about a filter.

What would total cost be for a 48gal with a hood and a stand? I'm new here, so it's exciting to see what's out there. Thanks, -Amanda.
I am huge fan of low iron tanks too. Normally the low iron tanks available on the market now are expensive. A 48gal tank would be 400-500 dollars without a stand(could be an extra 200 bucks), they generally come without a hood/lip. I hope in future I can sell them at about $120 for the 50 gal tank and $100 for the stand. So more and more people will afford those tanks.

Tags
clear, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com