Ultra clear tank VS traditional tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sexyrock

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I have noticed that people in America mostly use traditional aquarium tanks that come with build-in light systems and filtration. However in Japan ultra clear aquariums tanks are very popular and commonly seen in people's houses. Those super clear low iron tanks are beautiful and highly transparent.
My question is why there is no market for this kinda aquarium tanks in America? Would you guys be interested in it if it becomes available in the aquarium stores in your cities? Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• 31JnU9xc6BL.jpg
    31JnU9xc6BL.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 131
  • T2k9I.XyXaXXXXXXXX_!!1067174064.jpg
    T2k9I.XyXaXXXXXXXX_!!1067174064.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 114
they are available, it's called Starfire glass.
It is a bit more expensive than regular glass, and only a little less than acrylic, so from a cost vs benefit perspective, I think a lot of people either don't feel it's that important or opt for acrylic.
Personally I prefer acrylic for a variety of reasons

they are available, it's called Starfire glass.
It is a bit more expensive than regular glass, and only a little less than acrylic, so from a cost vs benefit perspective, I think a lot of people either don't feel it's that important or opt for acrylic.
Personally I prefer acrylic for a variety of reasons

Hi Smith,
Thank you for your thoughts. The city where I live has no such tanks. Generally what's the cost of a starfire glass tank?

First, Japan has a tradition for the aesthetic. My understanding is that the average Japanese home is small and so carefully and aesthetically furnished.

I don't know how the low iron tanks are marketed in Japan but in the U.S. they must be sought out and they are much more expensive. A regular tank can keep fish as well. Many people in the U.S. want to keep larger tanks and the low iron tanks get cost prohibitive.

I see a lot of small aesthetically pleasing tanks pictured on this forum but this is a group of enthusiasts. If I weren't a forum member I wouldn't even know about low iron tanks. I first learned about them here.

Of course I'm generalizing and I've never been to Japan, so this is merely conjecture. Each kind of tank has its place. It depends on the goal of the fish keeper. There are many different kinds of tanks and that's a good thing. As long as they are healthy, maintained places for the fish and/or plants I don't really see them are being more than different personal choices.

I have a 29 gallon acrylic tank. They are also more expensive, though not as expensive as low iron, but certainly more expensive than regular glass. I had to seek it out, too. You don't just walk Petco or Petsmart and walk out with a 20 gallon or larger acrylic tank either. I like the clarity and aesthetic of my acrylic tank.

So these are just some random thoughts. Maybe if you walked into the large chain stores and there were rows of low iron tanks, they were featured in product placement, etc., you'd see them in more homes in the U.S. People can't want what they don't know about.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
P.S. In the U.S. here's what an Amazon search turns up on low iron tanks. You definitely need to know what you are looking for.

Amazon.com: Low iron tanks: Pet Supplies

Thank you so much for being so thoughtful!:lol: Wow those aquariums are not cheap! So in your opinion the high price is the only reason that keeps people away from this product? What if, say, one day the low iron tank becomes a lot more affordable than they are today? What if the price is 60% compared to today and you can easily find them in most of the stores in your city? Will it be popular then? Thank you! This question's been haunting me for days.:lol:

Hi Smith,
Thank you for your thoughts. The city where I live has no such tanks. Generally what's the cost of a starfire glass tank?

that depends on the size and most are only available as custom tanks.
Try glasscages.com as a starting point, but really any place that does custom tanks will usually offer low iron glass as an option.

Thank you so much for being so thoughtful!:lol: Wow those aquariums are not cheap! So in your opinion the high price is the only reason that keeps people away from this product? What if, say, one day the low iron tank becomes a lot more affordable than they are today? What if the price is 60% compared to today and you can easily find them in most of the stores in your city? Will it be popular then? Thank you! This question's been haunting me for days.:lol:

Again this is strictly conjecture and personal opinion, but this is the internet so...

My opinion is that price is one reason, not the only reason. Availability and product knowledge are some others.

If they were less expensive I imagine that at least more diehard enthusiasts would have them. I'm not sure about the general public who are more casual about fish keeping and the aesthetic of their tank.

Right now, many of the low iron tanks are not in the more common U.S. aquarium sizes, so finding stands, hoods, canopies, etc, is not as easy.

There are many possible reasons. I see availability, product knowledge and marketing as even more important than cost.

Last edited:
Can I ask, does adding iron to glass strengthen it?

What is thr purpose of it, as the CON is it adds green tinge color to glass.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've wanted a rimless tank for a while but the fact is I'm not paying $30+ for a 5g tank just because it has no rim.

If you want one new that's the price you pay here.

Is rather just buy a 10g with a rim for $10 brand new.

Caleb

I got one and broke the bottom out! Now buying a used Mr. Aqua.

The cost is a major factor, but also people don't like their fish to jump out and the evaporation is a big issue, then buy a separate and expensive light is another factor. Most people not on a forum don't know what they are supposed to buy because the low iron tanks are not readily available. If the light isn't included, again many people who aren't familiar don't know what kind, type, amount of light to buy, so it is too confusing so just get a kit.

Can I ask, does adding iron to glass strengthen it?

What is thr purpose of it, as the CON is it adds green tinge color to glass.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The more iron glass has, the weaker it would be. People are making all sorts of effort to get iron out of glass to make it crystal clear. However doing so needs expensive technology and up the price of low iron tanks.

I got one and broke the bottom out! Now buying a used Mr. Aqua.

The cost is a major factor, but also people don't like their fish to jump out and the evaporation is a big issue, then buy a separate and expensive light is another factor. Most people not on a forum don't know what they are supposed to buy because the low iron tanks are not readily available. If the light isn't included, again many people who aren't familiar don't know what kind, type, amount of light to buy, so it is too confusing so just get a kit.

Yes, I agree that fish jumping out of the tank is a big issue. Yes I am actually thinking of importing glass from Asia and manufacture low iron tanks on my own. I just want to get a sense on what kind of tanks will catch people's eyes. In order for the tanks to sell, do you think I should also add lights and filtration to the tanks?

So are you trying to start a business or interested in importing them or what?

Right on the money, I am thinking of manufacturing low iron tanks that are less expensive than what's available today(without compromising the quality). I am just eager to find out if people will be interested in it when it's available or what should I do to expand the market. Thank you for sharing your ideas:cool:

I've wanted a rimless tank for a while but the fact is I'm not paying $30+ for a 5g tank just because it has no rim.

If you want one new that's the price you pay here.

Is rather just buy a 10g with a rim for $10 brand new.

Caleb

That makes sense. But these days can you really get a 10gal with a rim for $10? The 5 gal plug-n-play nano aquarium cost me 125 dollars at the local store, geez.

That makes sense. But these days can you really get a 10gal with a rim for $10? The 5 gal plug-n-play nano aquarium cost me 125 dollars at the local store, geez.

Yeah at the chain stores here the 10g is frequently on sale for $10. No sense paying so much more for the same tank with thicker glass and no rim in my eyes. I'm cheap though to an extent.

Caleb

Wow, those are so incredibly beautiful! But, for the "average-joe" like me, may be too expensive. (I got a 55gal glass complete with lights and a stand for $115, 12yrs ago and now it's falling apart.) Did AutumnSky say the bottom fell out!!!??? Do those stand the test of time? Also, the largest on that ad-page was 48 gals.

Now that my tank is failing, I would love a 55 that looked like that! WOW! Yes, sell in the U.S!!!

I think the hood should be included and a stand, but not sure about a filter.

What would total cost be for a 48gal with a hood and a stand? I'm new here, so it's exciting to see what's out there. Thanks, -Amanda.:rolleyes:

Wow, those are so incredibly beautiful! But, for the "average-joe" like me, may be too expensive. (I got a 55gal glass complete with lights and a stand for $115, 12yrs ago and now it's falling apart.) Did AutumnSky say the bottom fell out!!!??? Do those stand the test of time? Also, the largest on that ad-page was 48 gals.

Now that my tank is failing, I would love a 55 that looked like that! WOW! Yes, sell in the U.S!!!

I think the hood should be included and a stand, but not sure about a filter.

What would total cost be for a 48gal with a hood and a stand? I'm new here, so it's exciting to see what's out there. Thanks, -Amanda.:rolleyes:

I am huge fan of low iron tanks too. Normally the low iron tanks available on the market now are expensive. A 48gal tank would be 400-500 dollars without a stand(could be an extra 200 bucks), they generally come without a hood/lip. I hope in future I can sell them at about $120 for the 50 gal tank and $100 for the stand. So more and more people will afford those tanks.

Back
Top Bottom