Under gravel filter opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigBoyStatus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just curious to hear y'all's opinions on UGF's. I have one myself, in unison with a flu all 305 canister filter. I've heard they are both good and bad

I used them back in the 80's in my saltwater tanks. You can't beat them, lots of surface for bacteria to grow. Some use it in a reverse mode. I no longer have SW tanks so I use only canisters for my FW tanks. Not very popular anymore.
Do you have a power head on yours?

I used them back in the 80's in my saltwater tanks. You can't beat them, lots of surface for bacteria to grow. Some use it in a reverse mode. I no longer have SW tanks so I use only canisters for my FW tanks. Not very popular anymore.
Do you have a power head on yours?

No, I use an air pump for mine, but the right tube of the filter doesn't pump air very well (by that I mean it might as well not be there because the actual pumping it does is zero). Would the usage of an actual power head fix that you think? It's a 75 gallon SA Cichlid tank, btw.

Ok, two things that I'm not crazy about, one, you have a big tank and for the under gravel filter to work properly you need good flow or you will have some "dead" areas, I think even a small power head will do.
The other is, under gravel filters and cichlids don't mix. Cichlids as we know are diggers and will disturb your under gravel filter.
I'm sorry I can't give you better news :(

Ok, two things that I'm not crazy about, one, you have a big tank and for the under gravel filter to work properly you need good flow or you will have some "dead" areas, I think even a small power head will do.
The other is, under gravel filters and cichlids don't mix. Cichlids as we know are diggers and will disturb your under gravel filter.
I'm sorry I can't give you better news :(

Oh I've learned the digging thing myself - I'll look into a power head, thanks for the input

Hi there when i used under gravel filters many years ago you used to be able to buy a plastic mesh To put between your gravel and your filters or even between gravel if you got diggers

Back
Top Bottom