Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Under gravel filters

I'm really close to setting up my 125 gallon tank and I just want to know if anyone has had experience with under gravel filters. I have the filters and I also have four 1140 penguin power heads to go with it. I'm planning on using my canister filter also, which is a 350 Magnum. I've seen tanks with under gravel only and I like what I see. Its also a more natural filtration for the fish. I was just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on this subject.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:44 AM   #2
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

under gravel set ups are getting more and more obsolete as they seem to cause more issues than there worth

Old 05-31-2013, 02:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well that's not what I wanted to hear right off the bat. I'm going this route only because the guy that owns a fish store near me has 40 plus tanks, fresh water and salt water, uses only undergravel filters. And he swears by it. It takes the pressure off having to get all the filters for a HOB and all that. I don't know what to do. Might as well see what happens I guess, after all, I have everything to get it started. Thanks for the post I appreciate that feedback.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I second, and third, what 54seaweed stated. The state of filtration in aquaria now has moved past the undergravel stage. See Filter (aquarium) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .. If they clog, they can be very difficult to clear out, depending on where the clog is located.

HOBs are fine...and you don't really need to keep buying cartridges for them. I keep SeaChem Matrix (for biofiltration) in both of mine along with some polyfill, to get the big stuff out. Super simple, and near zero maintenance, except when rinsing the polyfill in some tank water to clean it out. Other than that, every month or two I clean the impeller and wipe out the inside of the box during a water change, and every 6 months I regenerate my Purigen.

Tags
filter, filters, gravel, under gravel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com