under gravel filters...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

proff1949

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an old FO 5o gal tank. I am wondering if the older style under gravel filters are even worth using any more and if there is a cleaner method. Getting tire of spray covering everything around the openings in the top. My filter is a Fluval 306 with a Back Pac protein skimmer. Tank is well established with a fairly light load.

Also developing a maroon hair like algea that is getting to be a PIA. Any ideas?

Under Gravel Filters (UGF) are considered "old-fashioned". I personally have never used one; all my tanks have had HOB's or built-in power filters. I like those better because I can use sand because gravel sucks imo. Sand is much easier to clean.

You need to siphon them regularly. So you can't really aquascaping a tank with a UG filter. But I used one in a FW setup and it worked fine. So they're not as useless as people say they are. They are an affordable filtration method for something like a breeding tank or a budget tank. But I would.never use one in a display tank again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom